Author Topic: Zoe Saldana in "Colombiana"  (Read 25485 times)

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Zoe Saldana in "Colombiana"
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 06:38:36 am »
The studio and producers are scared of putting too many black folks in a movie, or else it becomes a "black" film.  And if it's a black couple, then the emotional heart of the film becomes black.

Usually the star has to insist on a black love interest.  And if they don't have the clout, or don't care (either because they are biracial, or they are in a interracial relationship, or simply don't see it as an issue they care about) it's not going to happen. 

I remember being really impressed by Will Smith in ENEMY OF THE STATE...both his wife and mistress in the film were black. 
I agree and I find that silly. Not all "blacks" act the same. I mean come on lol.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 08:03:25 am »
The studio and producers are scared of putting too many black folks in a movie, or else it becomes a "black" film.  And if it's a black couple, then the emotional heart of the film becomes black.

Usually the star has to insist on a black love interest.  And if they don't have the clout, or don't care (either because they are biracial, or they are in a interracial relationship, or simply don't see it as an issue they care about) it's not going to happen. 

I remember being really impressed by Will Smith in ENEMY OF THE STATE...both his wife and mistress in the film were black. 

I saw a Youtube quoting Dwight McDuffie on this subject(he may have been referring to comics, but it is valid for films too).

He called it the Rule Of Three. If a film has three or more Black characters in it, it becomes a "Black product" that only black folk will watch. As opposed to a product for general audiences (Trans: White folk).

Now "The Help" has White folks helping Black folks out so it gets to have three Negroes in it. ::)

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 09:05:17 am »

I saw a Youtube quoting Dwight McDuffie on this subject(he may have been referring to comics, but it is valid for films too).

He called it the Rule Of Three. If a film has three or more Black characters in it, it becomes a "Black product" that only black folk will watch. As opposed to a product for general audiences (Trans: White folk).

Now "The Help" has White folks helping Black folks out so it gets to have three Negroes in it. ::)
Yep good comic docu. Reggie was in this same one that had Dmac. As for the "The Help" film funny point brought up
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 01:58:46 pm »
Hopefully the movie does very well, I wouldn't mind seeing Zoe as Misty Knight in a Heroes for Hire film.   :-*  ready the blowout kit..

Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 03:20:46 pm »
Saw this one today. Wanted to get it in before the hurricane. I liked it. I thought Saldana was convincing as a kickass assassin, even if painfully thin. One review I read of it called Colombiana tame and I agree with that criticism. I wish it had been more violent, more over-the-top, and that the kills had been flashier. The movie was PG-13 and a good deal of the violence was off screen, and it was fairly light on the blood. There also wasn't a lot of hand-to-hand combat scenes. I was expecting more of that.

The supporting cast was fine. The drug lord main villain and his henchmen were ably played, though I wouldn't have minded them being over-the-top or having some type of quirk or something. Colombiana is a step below Besson's Professional because it was too restrained. It didn't seem ready or willing to go there, to give us some sick, kickass action or acts of brutality that stayed with you after the film ended. There was little to nothing that I can say I hadn't seen before. Even Zoe in her underwear-saw that in Star Trek and The Losers.

And to be honest I wasn't super impressed with Zoe in her underwear. She's too slight. Now if they had cast Paula Patton, Sanaa Lathan, Gabrielle Union, Meagan Goode, Gugu Mbatha-Raw or someone like that, at least the outfits she was wearing would've had something to cling on to. Overall though, Zoe handled herself as well as Angelina Jolie, Milla Jovovich, or Kate Beckinsale; even though I think all of them did far more extensive hand-to-hand fighting scenes in their movies.

Off topic, but I couldn't help notice how intimate her scenes with Michael Vartan were in this movie as opposed to her chaste romance with Michael Ealy in Takers.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 03:27:23 pm »
Sorry fellas, der has never been anything hot about Saldana.

No hips...

Elongated 4head...

Pancake chest...

Flat booty...

Weird long k-legs...

Walks like she's on puppet strings...

Dont know about y'all but we consider face AND body AND how u 'flo' & glo.....not jus having a pair of good eyes & y'all say she's miss omniverse.

This,and...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 03:32:12 pm »

No hips...

Elongated 4head...

Pancake chest...

Flat booty...

Weird long k-legs...

Dont know about y'all but we consider face AND body AND how u 'flo' & glo.....not jus having a pair of good eyes & y'all say she's miss omniverse.

This,and...

I think she is attractive, just painfully thin. And I'm glad she is getting push in Hollywood. She's the one black actress in a generation it seems to get the push, like Halle did in the 90's. Though I think Saldana can pull off action star better than Halle ever could. It probably doesn't hurt that Saldana is a Latina; it makes her more exotic, less 'black' just like Rosario Dawson. Though Dawson shows up quite a bit on screen, I don't think she's been as high profile as Saldana.

I'm looking forward to Colombiana. The trailer annoyed me a little, with the constant "Don't forget where you came from" and I sighed when they put her with another white dude, though I do like Michael Vartan from Alias. But the action looked good and Luc Besson knows how to bring it. I think he had a big hand in both Milla Jovovich and Natalie Portman's careers with films like The Messenger, Fifth Element, and The Professional, so hopefully similar magic can work for Saldana.

^^^^That. Despite her part in the blockbuster record-setting AVATAR,I don't think that she can really pull off true action scenes.She doesn't have the power and authority in her gitdown.Now VIVICA FOX can do it and make it hella authentic. That fight scene with Uma in KILL BILL (yall know that ole Vivica woulda spanked Uma in a real scrap) was madd flames and real.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:35:49 pm by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 03:39:42 pm »

No hips...

Elongated 4head...

Pancake chest...

Flat booty...

Weird long k-legs...

This,and...

I think she is attractive, just painfully thin. And I'm glad she is getting push in Hollywood. She's the one black actress in a generation it seems to get the push, like Halle did in the 90's. Though I think Saldana can pull off action star better than Halle ever could. It probably doesn't hurt that Saldana is a Latina; it makes her more exotic, less 'black' just like Rosario Dawson. Though Dawson shows up quite a bit on screen, I don't think she's been as high profile as Saldana.

I'm looking forward to Colombiana. The trailer annoyed me a little, with the constant "Don't forget where you came from" and I sighed when they put her with another white dude, though I do like Michael Vartan from Alias. But the action looked good and Luc Besson knows how to bring it. I think he had a big hand in both Milla Jovovich and Natalie Portman's careers with films like The Messenger, Fifth Element, and The Professional, so hopefully similar magic can work for Saldana.

^^^THAT. Despite Zoe's part in AVATAR,she doesn't bring the "funk" to action. YOu wanna see a sista bring correct fonk...not funk,FONK...to a fight scene? Check Vivica in KILL BILL

BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 03:43:37 pm »
Heh heh heh ;D

FONK!

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 05:35:33 pm »
I can understand that concern. I had it myself going in. But as I noticed, the movie doesn't put her in a lot of hand to hand fighting scenes that might stretch credulity. She is usually behind a gun and she looks pretty good holding them. Also the film does take note of her unique physique and show off her nimbleness and agility. I'm glad they took note of that and didn't have her taking out dudes the size of the wrestler Big Show with her hands.

As far as having that intensity, I think she brought enough of it. I put her about on the level of Angelina in Wanted, not Salt (because she was nasty when she hung that dude with her handcuffs). To some extent, she might be a few steps below Milla since Milla's been doing action movies for a decade or more now. As for Kate Beckinsale in the Underworld films, I put Zoe about on the same level in terms of handling the action scenes. I would need to watch those movies again to be more confident in making that statement though.

Since Michael Vartan is in the film, I'll compare Zoe to Jennifer Garner. I don't know if it was Jennifer or her stunt people, but Syndey Bristow was much better at fighting that what I saw in Colombiana. But let me note that Zoe's character wasn't all about fighting. She also used cunning.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 07:54:29 am »
While not on the level of THE TRANSPORTER or TAKEN, I had a great time in COLUMBIANA.  Luc Bresson is one of the great producers in our industry. 

The real find in the film is the young girl who plays Zoe's character as a child.  She was beautiful (her eyes reminded me of my daughter) and her acting was amazing. 

Zoe projects an intensity and intellegence that makes the action sequences credible.  Her movement and positioning in action sequences is great...the same way a great model can be very thin but look hot in a photo shoot, Zoe in action just looks right.  I think her background in dance, like Michelle Yoeh, greatly enhances her ability to replicate action movements.

My wife didn't want to go and loved it.  The couple who went with us, who had no idea what they were going to see, loved it.  What else do you want?

And Zoe may call herself Latina and ignore the black part of her heritage, but the bottom line is the NUMBER ONE and TWO movies at this weeks box office are movies starring BLACK WOMEN! 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 08:12:15 am »
Her movement and positioning in action sequences is great...the same way a great model can be very thin but look hot in a photo shoot, Zoe in action just looks right.  I think her background in dance, like Michelle Yoeh, greatly enhances her ability to replicate action movements.

Thank You, sir. 

Zoe is mah girl!

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 11:18:43 am »
Zoe Saldana wearing lighter makeup and getting skinnier? Can't blame her. She wants to work, make $. I'm sure another year or two, she'll do a "Sammy Sosa".
C.R.E.A.M. baby!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 11:45:42 am »
Zoe Saldana wearing lighter makeup and getting skinnier? Can't blame her. She wants to work, make $. I'm sure another year or two, she'll do a "Sammy Sosa".
C.R.E.A.M. baby!
She looks the same color and same size as she's always been to me.

Some black folks have a tone that just changes, depending on lighting, etc.  For example, I had a debate with a friend over Kerry Washington the other day.  Some perceive her as dark, some light...

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 01:29:00 pm »
I haven't followed Saldana too much, but does she ignore her blackness? I know her Latina heritage gets a lot of play, but I wonder if that's all her or the media? I know she's on the cover of this month's Ebony, but has she done a Tiger Woods and straight up said she's not black? If so, I might have to withdraw my support for her future works (except Star Trek; Avatar is take it or leave with me).

Yeah, I think some black folks' skin tone does change, not sure if that's on purpose or not. I don't see how people could consider Kerry Washington light skinned though. She's always brown skinned to me, though at times she's a deeper brown (like in Last King of Scotland). One drastic change I noticed once was Rosario Dawson in The Rundown. She was looking really dark in that film, but I've never seen her so dark again. (I thought it suited her, but she's fine regardless).