Author Topic: SHADOWLAW, ThunderCats, CBR and an interview!  (Read 1673 times)

Offline BrandonEaston

• View Profile
    • Fool's Crusade -- The Easton Blog
SHADOWLAW, ThunderCats, CBR and an interview!
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:08:23 pm »
Just wanted to drop some more notice that my graphic novel Shadowlaw is being released on November 16th, 2011.

Been getting some decent media coverage and I wanted to share that with you folks.

First is an interview at CBR regarding my work on Shadowlaw and ThunderCats:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=33898

And the other is the most candid interview I've ever done regarding comics, racism, religion and my writing career:

http://bsuperhero.blogspot.com/2011/08/5-questions-with-brandon-easton.html

Check it out and discuss!

Brandon
www.shadowlawonline.com -- Check the new series!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOWLAW, ThunderCats, CBR and an interview!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 06:02:49 am »
From the article:
4) You recently commented that, "the comic book industry needs a Civil Rights movement..." Could you expand on that idea a bit? What, in your opinion, would a Civil Rights Movement for the comic book industry entail and what do you think black people and other minorities need to do to actually make that happen?

Yes and I believe that quite a few people misinterpreted me when I said it. Let me put it like this: while I canít speak for a lot of people in my generation (the latchkey crew of the 1980s), I can say that it appears like many of us loved comic books to death while growing up. I loved the Marvel Universe and liked a few of the DC Universe core characters. I can remember getting excited every Wednesday on new release day (it used to be Fridays when I was very young). Literally my heart-rate would go up, I would sweat bullets and it would feel like I was going in for my first kiss every time I entered a comic book store. In Baltimore (a predominantly Black city), the comic book store was packed with a virtual rainbow of ethnic groups all there for the same thing. It was beautiful. I canít think of another word for that experience. JustÖ beautiful.

Little did I know that there were all kinds of racist shenanigans going on behind the scenes at the major companies (and much of this is based on stories Iíve heard firsthand from Black creators who worked in the business for the last twenty or thirty years). Little Black, White, Asian, Native American and Latino kids were going crazy over work that was created by some stone cold racists. In a way, thatís pure tragedy

You've expressed exactly what I've seen, felt and experienced when I got to art college and spoke with a few people who worked at dc comics. 
...only, when I started reading these comicbooks, there were no comicbook shops at that time.

Love the layout in your pages, Mr. Easton!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:05:10 am by Battle »

Offline Imaro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:52:24 am »
Loved the interviews, thanks for standing up! I will be buying Shadowlaw when it comes out in Nov.

Blessings to you!

Paul F.
I am an invisible man. When they approach me they see only my surroundings, themselves, or figments of their imagination-indeed, everything and anything except me. - Ralph Ellison (Invisible Man)

Offline BrandonEaston

• View Profile
    • Fool's Crusade -- The Easton Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:44 pm »
Loved the interviews, thanks for standing up! I will be buying Shadowlaw when it comes out in Nov.

Blessings to you!

Paul F.

Hey thanks for the kind words.

I appreciate that.

More than anything, I owe something to the people who blazed the path. There's still a big, nasty forest ahead of us all, but there's some light shining through. We just have to keep on busting our humps getting stuff done!

Best,
Brandon
www.shadowlawonline.com -- Check the new series!

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 02:39:36 pm »
sweet. I'll defiantly be looking for your book when it comes out.