Author Topic: What if?  (Read 6879 times)

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
What if?
« on: November 20, 2006, 02:32:27 pm »

Well guys, I wasn’t sure where to place this topic here in the politics section or over there in the general discussion. At the end I’ve decide to put it here because I think the subject eventually would take us into political territory so I don’t see any reason to waste time.

Almost since the first time a picked up a Superman comic I wondered how it would be to have the powers he has. I know it would be great but my question had much more to do with the ethical part of having those powers. If you guys had Superman’s powers in the real world what would you do with them? If you had the power to take the world to its knee what would you do? Would you rule with an iron fist? Would you live like a normal person without revealing yourself to the world? Would you attempt on super heroics? In sum would you feel any moral responsibility to the world?
At the same time I would like to know what would be your reaction if such creature ever showed up.  What would you do expect your government to do if such entity ever shows off into the world? What do you think they would actually do? And what would you feel if that “Superman” started to put his hands into the politics of the world or if he becomes your ruler, neighbor, friend, husband or wife?
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Ed

• View Profile
Re: What if?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 04:29:39 pm »
I know me. I do the best I can to help others, I have love for everyone, and I try to help the planet by keeping it clean.But If I had those powers it would be end game no doubt about it.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 06:27:46 pm »
I wouldn't want power like that; I may start out doing unimaginable good but do to temptation/boredom/ego end up doing irreparable harm.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 04:07:39 am »
It's the responsibility thing. It would be wrong to do nothing. The best I can think of would be to release a statement along the lines of,
'From now on, I'm going to do my best to stop every weapon, every bullet, bomb and knife and fist from reaching their target. You are all going to have to learn to sit down and talk out your problems without anyone getting hurt, because from now on, violence is not an option.'

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 05:49:27 am »
But what if you went to ....let's say the african continent and you realize that there are a little over 300 tribes and there is no unified language spoken in africa, likewise all of the corrupt warlords tell you to go flark yourself? what would you feel? or better yet how much control of your emotions would you have in order to harness these types of powers?

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 05:54:32 am »
It's the responsibility thing. It would be wrong to do nothing. The best I can think of would be to release a statement along the lines of,
'From now on, I'm going to do my best to stop every weapon, every bullet, bomb and knife and fist from reaching their target. You are all going to have to learn to sit down and talk out your problems without anyone getting hurt, because from now on, violence is not an option.'
But, how would the governments of the world react to that statement? and more important what would you do if they resist?

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 05:58:53 am »
that's what I'm saying , you know you can smack them up and if you didn't do it this time what about the next time?

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 06:03:00 am »
likewise all of the corrupt warlords tell you to go flark yourself?
I'd learn every dialect superfast because I'm SODDING SUPERMAN, and then I would tell them
'Go flark myself? Nah. Don't think so. Maybe you'd better try shooting me. OH NOES! Where did your guns go? I took them off you and threw them into the Sun before you could move. I can do that because I'm SODDING SUPERMAN! Now, what say we stop flarking and open up a meaningful dialogue, bitches?'

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 06:16:55 am »
that's what I'm saying , you know you can smack them up and if you didn't do it this time what about the next time?
My intention would be more along the lines of removing their ability of smacking eachother up (they can't smack me up, I'm Superman). Once you were Superman, I reckon you'd find yourself pretty patient. You'd have all the time in the world, and be able to do anything in the world, physically, at least. I'd just make it my job to stop anyone getting hurt while everyone had their tantrums about me (which would be the immediate reaction), and then encourage them to talk.

-Harriet Tubman

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 07:02:06 am »
sounds like Superman 4 ... the quest for peace.

and that wasn't a good movie.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 07:10:05 am »
Anybody remember Miracleman: The Golden Age?  In it, Miracleman and other superhumans have established a benevolent totalitarian rule.  One possible outcome to the hypothetical. 

I notice Wise Son's solution differs in that he would remove violence as a option and force folks to work it out.  I think that's ... wise.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 07:12:47 am »
sounds like Superman 4 ... the quest for peace.

and that wasn't a good movie.
I'd get better scriptwriters.

-Harriet Tubman

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 08:25:14 am »
smack. I know for the single guys on the forum are lying the first thing yall would do is look at all the different ways your new powers could get you layed. 8) :D. Then all the world saving would commence.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 08:41:31 am »
My intention would be more along the lines of removing their ability of smacking eachother up (they can't smack me up, I'm Superman). Once you were Superman, I reckon you'd find yourself pretty patient. You'd have all the time in the world, and be able to do anything in the world, physically, at least. I'd just make it my job to stop anyone getting hurt while everyone had their tantrums about me (which would be the immediate reaction), and then encourage them to talk.

Then you would not remove governments and would not aim to rule yourself. You would just be like an arbiter. Codename: Peace Keeper.

But still you’ll have to take an stance regarding guys like Fidel Castro and King Yong II.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 08:51:26 am »

Then you would not remove governments and would not aim to rule yourself. You would just be like an arbiter. Codename: Peace Keeper.

But still you’ll have to take an stance regarding guys like Fidel Castro and King Yong II.
Maybe.  OTOH, he'd probably prevent intra-national violence, too.  I think that would go a long way towards neutralizing the tyrants of the world.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."