Author Topic: Surgeon General Says Hair Care Prevents Black Women From Exercising  (Read 6309 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
GAWKER:

Surgeon General Says Hair Care Prevents Black Women From Exercising

America has a proud tradition of freaking out when the surgeon general offers helpful health tips (see: Dr. Joycelyn Elders). So it almost seems like Dr. Regina M. Benjamin was looking for trouble when she made a point about obesity, black women, and hair.

According to the New York Times Benjamin's intention was actually to shed light on one of the possible reasons that African American women have a higher obesity rate than any other demographic group. Earlier this month at the Bronner Brothers International Hair Show, she said many women aren't exercising in part because they don't want to mess up their hairstyle. Benjamin explains:

"Often times you get women saying, I can't exercise today because I don't want to sweat my hair back or get my hair wet.' When you're starting to exercise, you look for reasons not to, and sometimes the hair is one of those reasons."

Now Benjamin is getting flak for focusing on a "niche issue" that affects not only black women, but everyone with high-maintenance hairstyles.

Unsurprisingly, Benjamin's suggestion that people should work around their hair issues in the name of being healthier prompted some grumping from the National Center for Public Policy Research. Jeff Stier, a senior fellow at the conservative think tank, said:

"The role of the surgeon general is traditionally, and appropriately, to take on big issues ... I don't know whether the surgeon general's role is to engage in smaller issues like this. It strikes me as bizarre."

Here's a theory: Perhaps Stier finds the topic strange because he has a short haircut that doesn't require much styling.

It's true that styling issues may not be the main reason many women avoid exercising. As Dr. Pamela Peeke, an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Maryland, notes, at the end of the day "many women are just plain exhausted." However, it is a bit harder to squeeze in some exercise during your lunch break if your choices are to remain sweaty for the rest of the day, shower and go to your afternoon meeting with wet hair, or get a new hairstyle.

Plus, Benjamin was speaking at a hair show. It seems like an appropriate time to mention the issue, and it's not like Benjamin is launching a national campaign demanding that women start doing their hair differently. According to the Times,

As surgeon general, Dr. Benjamin has introduced new fitness initiatives, released a report on tobacco smoke and unveiled a new icon to replace the old food pyramid. But it's her unusual stance on hair and health that is likely to garner the most attention.

It doesn't matter what work Benjamin is actually focusing on. Clearly she's ridiculous because she commiserated with other women about something that doesn't affect most dudes.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Surgeon General Says Hair Care Prevents Black Women From Exercising
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 01:39:52 pm »
Jeff Stier, a senior fellow at the conservative think tank, said:

"The role of the surgeon general is traditionally, and appropriately, to take on big issues ... I don't know whether the surgeon general's role is to engage in smaller issues like this. It strikes me as bizarre."

I tend to agree but SOMEONE had to say it! :-[

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 12:16:05 pm »
Well...She isn't exactly a size 2 herself and any man on this board that has ever been with a black woman and she just got her "done" the sheets are are getting all hot and sweaty from the hair down.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 05:27:11 pm »
Well...She isn't exactly a size 2 herself and any man on this board that has ever been with a black woman and she just got her "done" the sheets are are getting all hot and sweaty from the hair down.

You're so bad... ;D

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 03:29:55 pm »
They talk about this on the "Michael Baisden Show" often. I agree what the S.G. has to say on the matter. When you think about it, it's sad and pathetic that anyone would put their f#$king hair over their health. Every weekday I take the train into DC and walk 2 miles from Union Station to my job near The Capitol. Everyday, on that walk, I see all kinds of people exercising/jogging up and down Capitol Hill like it's a religion....except Black Women. WTF!!!!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 09:05:28 pm »
According to good hair, the weave rate is so high they are going into debt for these (often not attractive) looks too. 

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:15:27 am »
Well...She isn't exactly a size 2 herself

That's the thing that bothers me.
How much credibility would you give to a Dentist whose teeth were rotting, or an Oncologist who was a chain smoker?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 08:06:34 am »
Doesn"t make her wrong though.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 09:46:36 am »

Hell no, it doesn't! I totally agree with her, but HER own weight issue, gives those looking for more excuses to dismiss her statements.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 09:27:17 pm »

Hell no, it doesn't! I totally agree with her, but HER own weight issue, gives those looking for more excuses to dismiss her statements.
Thinking about it, I can't remember ever seeing a healthy, trim, fit looking SG, male, female, black or white.  What's up with that?

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 04:19:31 am »

Thinking about it, I can't remember ever seeing a healthy, trim, fit looking SG, male, female, black or white.  What's up with that?

What about Dr. David Satcher?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:14:38 am »
From what I can see of pics of him (which almost always tight headshots) he looks like a healthy average man.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 09:03:58 am »
From what I can see of pics of him (which almost always tight headshots) he looks like a healthy average man.

We see him around the ATL from time to time.  Dr. Satcher looks to be fit.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 04:47:58 pm »
I kinda agree to an extent. The "exhausted" reason is borderline bullsh*t. No ma you're just lazy. I may not have the best trim or frame out there but please believe i'm in that gym hard. 3 days a week and itll grow to 4. I've had convos with some women and the same thing comes up "my hair".

Ok she isn't all that much in shape but if she brought up a point that tells some truth then why dismiss? I see the same thing in Downtown Baltimore at times and the majority of women running in the morning are well White. I agree with Kris it pisses me off too that a number of sistas aren't into their health as they should. Shoot at one point my coworker wanted to to Zumba and well only 5 showed up and 3 out of that 5 show up consistently. We have 8 - 1 in women and 15 are men. So you already know. Now it fizzled out due to the lack of support. Sad indeed. But they would rather eat that monster of a chicken box with that AWFUL SMELL. Y'all know what I'm talking about lol.

But in the gym alot of the woman "cheat" on the treadmill by holding the bars in an awkward position when it is sped up.

Kinda like this

When I see a black woman running out there getting in shape on the treadmill the right way or actually lift something I find that very sexy. Shoot at the gym I go to the same duo and only duo of black woman always go on the smith machine to do squats.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 05:35:10 pm »
When I don't work out regularly I am often too "tired" to work out.  Part of it is psychological avoidance technique, the other part is exhaustion from not getting the rev up energy and endorphin release from working out.