Author Topic: Stacey Dash Quits VH1′s ‘Single Ladies’ Series  (Read 5421 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Stacey Dash Quits VH1′s ‘Single Ladies’ Series
« on: September 01, 2011, 11:25:26 am »
EURWEB:

Stacey Dash Quits VH1′s ‘Single Ladies’ Series

*Remember all the rumors and reports about Stacey Dash being fired by the producers of VH1′s “Single Ladies” because of her attitude? Well, here’s the bottom line. Via a statement to GlobalGrind, Dash has officially QUIT the program:

“I truly enjoyed playing Val on ‘Single Ladies’, but I have decided to leave the show. I have to be back in L.A. with my children right now and the ‘Single Ladies’ shooting location (in Atlanta) makes that impossible. I wish VH1 the best of luck with the show and in maintaining the strong fan base we developed in season one.”

And just what is VH1′s response? Funny you should ask, ’cause here it is:

“VH1 respects Stacey’s decision and her commitment to what she feels is best for her family. We thank her for all of her hard work in making ‘Single Ladies’ a success right out of the gate, and we wish her nothing but the best in her future plans.”

Naturally some wags are saying that to save face, Dash quit before she got fired. Who knows? That may be case, but at least now the speculating can end.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Stacey Dash Quits VH1′s ‘Single Ladies’ Series
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 12:18:16 pm »
curious.. I hope the show gets renewed, but who would replace her (and hopefully playing another character)..  hmm.. jill marie jones?  :-*
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 12:33:03 pm »
It's unfortunate but, family is always a first priority.

I wish Ms. Dash good luck and hope to see her again soon in another project.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:03:54 pm »
The show has already been renewed, so it will get a second season at least. It will be interesting to see who they get to replace Stacey. I'm not really watching the show so her departure isn't too much of a big deal, though I wish her luck, and I must admit that she was a major reason I gave the show any time anyway. I did check in from time to time to see Dash. I think it will be hard finding someone to match her, physically, at least. Though there are some candidates out there. It's unfortunate but there are quite a few black actresses who might be availabe due to the dearth of roles for black actresses in general.

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:14:38 pm »
I want a REALLY GOOD BLACK DRAMA is that to much to ask for?

Hawthorne (Jada's show) was dropped although I wanted to like it, it sucked ass. My mind has a thousand ideas that are at least better but no.

Offline isaiah_bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 11:30:33 pm »
kenya moore.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 04:40:06 am »
^
Perfect choice. For irony's sake, I was thinking Elise Neal. But Kenya looks dynamite and I think her level of acting would fit into Single Ladies quite well. I wouldn't mind if they threw an Asian and Latina on there as well. Someone like Kelly Hu.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 07:41:58 am »
kenya moore.

Oh, HELL to the NAW!  Pretty but can't act to save her life.  I'm scarred for life by the travesty that was Trois!

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 12:29:32 pm »
none of the leads on SINGLE LADIES can act. being fine has nothing to do with being able to act. literally nothing.

The show is shallow, pretentious, poorly-written and, as I said, poorly acted. Worst of all, it completely fails to be either funny, sexy, romantic or charming.

Black folks have GOT to stop equating presence with quality. If this show was about white chicks doing exactly the same stuff and using exactly the same dialogue it would never have gotten into development, much less on the air. And PLEASE don't equate it with SEX & THE CITY. The two series are polar opposites in every respect.

I'm gonna start giving out SERGEANT WATERS awards to the most [counter productive and collectively demeaning] shows and movies I see.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:45:06 pm by Redjack »
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 12:55:19 pm »

I'm gonna start giving out SERGEANT WATERS awards to the most coony shows and movies I see.
Let's be careful about the use of the word "coony".  I think there's a lot of hacky, bad entertainment by and about black folks that is called "coonish" that doesn't really have a racial component. 

It's like the phrase "black on black crime".  It's really just "crime", but we add a racial component as if black people shouldn't rob each other like other races rob each other.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 02:21:02 pm »
I'm gonna start giving out SERGEANT WATERS awards to the most coony shows and movies I see.

Sergeant Waters wasn't exactly a hero.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 02:34:56 pm »

Let's be careful about the use of the word "coony".  I think there's a lot of hacky, bad entertainment by and about black folks that is called "coonish" that doesn't really have a racial component.  

It's like the phrase "black on black crime".  It's really just "crime", but we add a racial component as if black people shouldn't rob each other like other races rob each other.

Fair enough. Not "coony" then. Counter-productive and collectively demeaning.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:43:11 pm by Redjack »

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 02:36:10 pm »

Sergeant Waters wasn't exactly a hero.

He was a broken man inside but his story of the Moonshine, King of the Monkeys, is the basis for the award.

I've had it with this [expletive deleted by poster].

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 06:48:41 pm »
Jesus calm down, it's not that serious bruh.

I think Kenya Moore would make an excellent replacement, the show doesn't exactly require a Julliard graduate. All you need is beauty and the ability to speak clearly and follow direction. Meagan Goode would be a good choice too.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 08:48:38 pm »
Jesus calm down, it's not that serious bruh.

I think Kenya Moore would make an excellent replacement, the show doesn't exactly require a Julliard graduate. All you need is beauty and the ability to speak clearly and follow direction. Meagan Goode would be a good choice too.

Not serious for you. You're the audience. It's dead serious for me.

Every project like this makes it harder for decent work to break through. And support of projects like this also makes it harder for decent work to get through. If you have low expectation, crap results will follow. Everything Reg tried to do with BET was about raising expectation and thereby raising the bar.  The pushback from the entrenched powers that be led to their parting of the ways. But he was right to raise the bar.

If you don't want good things, you'll never get them.