Author Topic: "forced" or race in comics.  (Read 20077 times)

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: "forced" or race in comics.
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2006, 11:20:08 am »
Yeah the crow was a good character, In the CA issue #292, He was a Native American man in a wheelchair and he had 3 forms; that of a man, he turned into a crow/bolt of lightning, and then a superhero. The Puma was a great character, but as far as Capt America goes wouldn't the time he spent as an Ice Cube make him more than Human? He was thawed out with all of his mental facilities intact, no cellular breakdown at all

Okay, I'm going to have to look out for CA #292. I've never seen the Crow character as you've described him. I'd love to read that story.

Captain America "more than human". Hmmmmmm. I can see where you might have a point there.
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2006, 11:49:24 am »
How many successful attempts in recreating the Super Soldier Serum by all accounts cap was THE standard. Would the SS serum have altered his DNA all those yeaers he was in suspended animation? I thinks what started out  as a  "STEROID" somehow made him something of a Mutant;  Spiderman is considered a Mutant

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2006, 12:07:40 pm »
How many successful attempts in recreating the Super Soldier Serum by all accounts cap was THE standard. Would the SS serum have altered his DNA all those yeaers he was in suspended animation? I thinks what started out  as a  "STEROID" somehow made him something of a Mutant;  Spiderman is considered a Mutant

I know that during John Byrne's run on Namor, it was decided that he was a mutant although I'd never known him to be before. In fact, during Byrne's run on the book, they were calling Namor "Marvel's First Mutant".

It wouldn't be entirely unprecedented for an injection to unleash a Marvel character's latent mutation. Tyrone Johnson and Tandy Bowen were both injected with drugs that triggered their super-human mutation. Maybe you even remember that there was a time when Captain America received a stimulus of some sort - I've forgotten what it was, but he was partnered with the Falcon at the time this occurred - that gave him super strength.

There's alot going on with Captain America. That's for sure.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2006, 12:58:48 pm »
I do remember that in Caps Books he could bend steel and at the end of that he did go back to "normal" didn't he?

Offline Static Froggy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2006, 02:08:30 pm »
I do remember that in Caps Books he could bend steel and at the end of that he did go back to "normal" didn't he?
     I thought that was cause JOHN WALKER was cap at the time who had superstrength

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2006, 05:04:23 am »
I thought STEVE ROGERS briefly got a boost in power? can anyone clear this up?

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2006, 05:10:13 am »
I thought STEVE ROGERS briefly got a boost in power? can anyone clear this up?

I believe you're right about that karaszero.

Captain America and the Falcon were teammates when Cap received his power boost. Eventually, the Falcon began to feel inadequate as Captain America's partner. It was then that Captain America approached his old friend and "brother" T'Challa the Black Panther. King of Wakanda. He explained the situation between himself and his partner the Falcon and the Panther said he could help. That is when and how the Falcon received his first pair of glider wings. He wasn't actually able to use the wings to fly. He could only glide with them. As time went on however, Falcon continued to upgrade until we see him now with his "hardlight" wings that enable him to fly at high rates of speed. And along the way, it was discovered that Sam Wilson was as nearly a mutant without being one as a human being could get.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2006, 05:11:42 am »
Thax Sin, U da Man!

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2006, 05:13:23 am »
Thax Sin, U da Man!

Anytime. T'was my pleasure to serve  ;)

And in the event there are any questions. The following info is from Marvel.com.

"Powers 
Captain America represents the pinnacle of human physical perfection. He experienced a time when he was augmented to superhuman levels, but is no longer."

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Captain_America_%28Steve_Rogers%29
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 05:27:22 am by sinjection »

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2006, 05:54:06 am »
Shine the light on us, SI.  8)
Am I the only one who starts to hear a preacher's voice as they read SI's posts. I keep hearing it like,

"BROTHERS AND SISTERS! Let me ask you this!

Don't it make you feel PRIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE when you see the Black PAnther! Brother Cage! Brother Voodoo - and he still a brother, we all brothers! and Blade fighting together to help they Black brothers and sister?"

;)

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2006, 05:59:07 am »
Amen to that SIN too deserves a patented Du-Rag Tip!

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2006, 02:31:47 am »
In my opinion,blkyoda,RH's scripting and grasp of characterization,his humor and most recently his triumph in #18 is indicative of quality writing and then some.I have no problem with you not liking his style,or disagreeing with the speed with which BP and STORM get married...hey,I can see your perspective,albeit I disagree with your perspective in this regard.But I have to honestly ask you where do you spot--I mean specifically where --do you see subpar writing? Or were you just not feeling various books because the plot,theme,or whatever felt weak to you? I thought the BRIDE arc wasn't just arbitrarily throwing in guest appearances,I thought it showed BP's international pull and tossed a spotlight on the Orient as seen through the eyes of a brotha,plus it gave RH the opportunity to make the direly needed corrections to FU MANCHU and the other things that I alluded to earlier.Could you elaborate?

And honestly,I think that I and several other HEF members have demonstrated our open-mindedness time and time again.I don't think that it's accurate to portray the majority of the board as being initially or at any time during its previous and current membership makeup on HEF 1.0 or now as being close minded,reactionary or defensive...

The main problem that I had in the comic which may come to an end now that T'Challa is married, is that the guy had no personality to me. Honestly he was a blank slate. I just didn't see WHY he was bothering to do most of what he did or why people were so impressed with him. Nothing he'd done so far in the book made me go 'WOW This guy's the sh*t' except for the House of M Crossover. I thought that was brilliant writing and thougt to myself then 'Okay, NOW I see where this is going, this guy IS a badass and a real take it straight to YA' kindof character. Then is just... I dunno fell off again. I've already talked a bit about how the initial arc left me flat. For a storyline called "Who is black panther' I honestly didn't feel like I knew Hudlin's version of him after the first six issues. In fact, I don't think I really even got an inkling into his character until issue 18, where the interplay between him and storm, in thier quiter moments was the first time I started to understand where this guy was coming from. That and the VERY well written scene where he tries to broker peace between Iron Man and Cap but makes it clear he ain't havin' none of that Civil War BS at his wedding. Even his self depricating disappointment about NOT brokering peace gave me some insight into the guy. HOPEFULLY that kind of dialogue and introspection continues. But to me, prior to this issue, he was just some dude running around from issue to issue with no themes that seemed to tie one issue to the next. I personally would have LOVED to see BP and Storm really date and court in the comic for awhile I think that would speak volumes about who he really is, but alas, they're already hitched so we'll see where it goes.
To me, good characterization means that I have a handle on what the main character is about, they can be enigmatic in some ways but to quote that famous actor phrase 'What's my MOTIVATION?" I couldn't figure out what T'Challas motivation was for anything in the first 10 issues or so. I read Peter David's Aquaman, and his motivation is ' Hey, I lost my kingdom I have to do everything in my power to reconsolidate my people.' So everything he did was moving towards that. Made sense. I read Strazynski's Amazing Spiderman and his motivation is 'I've GOT to get more balance in my life, I'm losing my wife, my job and my whole world because of this hero stuff, i need a mentor!" I didn't see much of that in early BP. I mean, you kill your father's murderer and the next thing you want to do is get laid and get married? HUH? I can go on and on, some people liked it, I didn't but that's the examples i can think of right now about why I found the writing poor. Issue # 18 was good, first time i saw some real character development, I hope it continues.

He didn't seem to EMOTE or feel much. I mean, the guy finally kills Klaw the man who capped his dad...And what? No speech, no page or two of him coming to grips with what the hell his life is about now? Now look, some people saw this in what was written, I didn't. It seemed like the moments of major IMPACT in this book thus far were just flat, with no real depth.

Whassup blkyoda,I read your response to my post and I want to first take time out to thank you for even bothering to respond.My lengthy posts tend to discourage responses,especially lengthy and well thought out responses like yours.

Now then,if we can pass on to what I thought was manifestly apparent in regards to TCHALLA'S character...

In issue #3,we see TCHALLA for the first time as both King of Wakanda AND the Black Panther.He is holding court with the Council,and in it I think that RH clearly demonstrates several aspects of TCHALLA'S character:

1) The first order of business that is being discussed is Wakanda's unrelenting hunt for Klaw. I think that RH displays concisely but intensely that TCHALLA is veyr dedicated to locating and destroying his father's killer.In the process,RH does something that I have never ever seen done previously...he compares the intelligence gathering abilities of Wakanda's government with those of other international bodies,and lets the reader know that Wakanda's intelligence network is roughly equivalent to that of the Israeli MOSSAD.I think that this was a clever,very realistic and much needed fleshing out of the details often ignored in comics and basically wholly ignored in BP.Secondly,RH has TCHALLA declare that he wants KLAW found.When one of the wise council members point out that quite possibly the assassin's employers did him in,TCHALLA replies:"Then I want the DNA from the ashes to prove it!" Yep,major plot thread #1 as setup...and done with characterization. Plot thread #2: TCHALLA sends T'SHAN to New York when his father refuses the post,for two important reasons: T'SHAN is tough,smart and a patriot...and as a person envious of TCHALLA,it might be best if he was also out of the kingdom for a while.And TCHAN...TSHAN'S father...was shown in two panels,the first just thinking,the second pic showing TCHAN's reaction in two words:"Smart man." I think that RH believably set up plot #3--the Cannibal-- was clear with his dismantling of Klaw's force.I thought that RH showed a deep grasp of character by displaying the verbal confrontation between BP and KLAW,I think he did well to show Wakanda's history and that the Queen Mother ain't no joke.,,as she demonstrated to KLAW with her hammerfist to her groin...

there's a lot more,but I have to go take  care of a few things.See you guys later...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Goat

• "Man, you come straight out of a comic book"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2006, 11:20:00 pm »
Sup Supreme!! I was catching up round yeer  and got around to your post.. I got half way thru it and had to take a break, get something to eat, ate too much. felt guilty and did some crunches and push-ups, got tired took a nap, woke up made some coffee and was finally able to finish reading it!! LMAO!!!

Ahhh J/K ya SI! As you so eloquently put it.. I got mad love for ya! SI   

I like your long post especially since they tend to make good sense and you’re right about RH I fail to see where he started any of the b/s that I’ve seen others proclaim. Except of course when he said “waddya expect from a guy called Goat he’s a loser!!” LOL!!  Of course RH and I didn’t hit it off that well on our first set of post.. but hey I’ve noticed with chat boards it takes a while before you get an understanding about someone else’s character and over the course of time by reading their thoughts on the issues that character becomes evident. With Reginald, although I’ve never met him in person, his character and his convictions are such that I believe him to be not only a good person but a truthful and honest individual without malice to anyone and without prejudice towards others based on the color of their skin or their beliefs. I can say this having met other folks I’ve known only thru another board and having judged their character on the merit of what the say in their post in finding after meeting them in person those judgments were validated. So yes it’s not easy to know a person very well from a chat board. But this becomes less true as years began to pass and with each post a person gains more insight into another person’s moral fiber. With this in mind I can honestly say that IMO Mr. Hudlin is an exceptional human being and an asset to the Black Panther’s chronicle. And as a whole this board and the folks who make up the membership here should be proud to be associated within a group that seems to be able to talk about issues that others are afraid to mention for fear of the realizations of their own prejudices. That subjects are discussed openly and opinions are treated as such and disagreements are debated and not argued here says all I need to know about the quality of the members of HEF.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2006, 03:40:34 am »

I know that during John Byrne's run on Namor, it was decided that he was a mutant although I'd never known him to be before. In fact, during Byrne's run on the book, they were calling Namor "Marvel's First Mutant".

I do believe that Namor as a mutant was first established by Stan Lee (or whoever the writer was) in the early issues of the X-men when they first met Namor.  If I remember right, using Cerebro, they found Namor.

Offline Frostbite883

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 01:26:40 am »
Yeah the crow was a good character, In the CA issue #292, He was a Native American man in a wheelchair and he had 3 forms; that of a man, he turned into a crow/bolt of lightning, and then a superhero. The Puma was a great character, but as far as Capt America goes wouldn't the time he spent as an Ice Cube make him more than Human? He was thawed out with all of his mental facilities intact, no cellular breakdown at all

Okay, I'm going to have to look out for CA #292. I've never seen the Crow character as you've described him. I'd love to read that story.

Captain America "more than human". Hmmmmmm. I can see where you might have a point there.

Just so you know Sin, the Crow's alias is Black Crow