Author Topic: The Avengers  (Read 11834 times)

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Avengers
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2012, 07:32:08 pm »
Best moment of the movie for me was Banner's line about what his secret was...  in one line Whedon nailed the essence of a character that two movies completely failed to capture.  Had they cast Ruffalo in '03 the Hulk movies would have been different experiences.

I can't imagine how they're going to handle a sequel with the ending teaser.. that's just... wow!

If they go balls to the wall and bring out the big yellow.. then DC may stay a distant second in the media game..(or sue, I guess)

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 06:48:59 am »
DC (WB) cannot do anything other than Batman so there is nothing to worry about.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 07:57:30 am »
Just finished seeing this.

Excellent would be an understatement.

You had great action, some great character notes and everybody got a scene of badassery.

I liked everybody's performance in this, but I have to give credit to Mark Ruffalo as Banner. He does a really great job with the role. I didnt miss Ed Norton's Banner at all.

And Hulk practically stole the movie.

Offline mayday

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2012, 01:17:43 pm »
White people save the world...hooray.

Could have said it better! Thanks, mayday!!!!
One colored Token of appeasement is NOT diversity.

I saw it & it was waay beyond Great. But as I scanned the seats when the lights came up, to my suprise their where WAY more black, hispanic & OTHER kids than white.
I don't want those kids to waste their money on 30+ years of comics & come up empty like I did when it comes to non white heroes.
A War machine appearance would have fit right in BUT I know when Cheadle said "you can have your suit back" in IRON MAN 2 that we would NEVER see him again.

Offline Colonel Kurtz

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2012, 02:55:58 pm »
It was a Masterpeice. Jack wouldve been so proud.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2012, 08:52:50 pm »
It was a Masterpeice. Jack wouldve been so proud.
Good point!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2012, 06:57:19 am »
from my friend NELL SCOVELL:

The Avengers -- Red, White and/or Blue

Posted: 05/ 1/2012 10:26 am
As the race for president heats up, so does the competition for high-impact celebrity endorsements. The stars of The Avengers -- Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk --a re true American heroes and gaining their support would boost either candidate. Yes, they're comic book characters. But so is Ted Nugent. Still, it's tricky. The Avengers do not vote as a block. The team is made up of fiercely individual personalities with often conflicting perspectives. Remember how "Civil War" erupted between Captain America and Iron Man? You do? Then you're a nerd. Here's our best guess for how their political affiliations break down:

Credit: Disney/Barack Obama
Bruce Banner/The Hulk: With his pre-existing medical condition, The Hulk is relying on Obamacare to help pay his significant health care costs. Democrat.

Credit: Disney/Republican Conference
Tony Stark/Iron Man: Attended retreat in California hosted by fellow conservative billionaires Charles and David Koch. Pledged big bucks to turn this country as red as his suit. Republican.

Natalia Romanova/Black Widow: A Russian citizen, she is not registered to vote in the U.S. but happily cast her vote for Vladimir Putin... twice in the same election. United Russia.

Captain America: Cap last voted for Franklin D. Roosevelt and, after his WW2 experience -- fighting Nazis, frozen in ice -- has voiced interest in Ron Paul's anti-war stance. Independent.

Dr. Donald Blake/Thor: The doctor is in favor of strong social programs while alter ego Thor likes a strong defense. Since they cancel each other out, it's best to stay home on election day. Non-voter.

Clint Barton/Hawkeye: Often called a "loner," Clint loves hunting... wears a sleeveless leather vest... fell in love with the elusive Black Widow who is a lot like Cher... It's pretty obvious that he's a Log Cabin Republican.

Nick Fury: Commander of S.H.I.E.L.D., the secret military law enforcement agency that makes the NSA look like a Montessori nursery school, Fury keeps his political preferences close to the vest. When he goes into that voting booth and pulls a lever... not even he knows who he voted for. REDACTED.

Loki: The nemesis and God of chaos, Loki wants to rule Earth and will write in the candidate who shares this world view: Newt Gingrich.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2012, 09:37:14 am »
HOLLYWOOD REPORTER:

'Avengers' Writer-Director Joss Whedon on His 'Insanely Massive Ego'
As the film breaks box office records with an opening-weekend haul of more than $207 million, Whedon talks about what it took to get the highly-anticipated superhero team-up on screen.
7:49 PM PDT 5/7/2012 by Todd Gilchrist

After Avengers brought in a record-breaking $207 million over its opening weekend, the evidence of Joss Whedon’s suitability to bring the superhero team-up to the screen seems pretty self-evident. But the writer-director told THR that he harbored strong doubts that he could pull the film together, and it required a considerable amount of hubris to undertake the challenge in the first place.

“I think you have to have an insanely massive ego to think you can pull it off,” Whedon said. “I was out of my mind. There was many times when I was writing, when I was filming, that I thought, a grown-up should be doing this!”

Whedon said the toughest challenge he faced was to find a balance in the story where all of the characters had just enough to do. “Hard is the word,” he described. “It’s all about figuring out just enough for everyone, because too much is going to throw people, and at the same time, you don’t want to leave anybody in the cold.

“It really is just hard work figuring out structurally how they’re going to matter, how they’re going to drive the plot. But then once you’ve got that, it’s just writing the characters – and that’s fun.

While The Avengers’ success all but guarantees a follow-up from Marvel, Whedon observed that ideas he discarded as he was developing the first film would likely not be integrated into a sequel. “When an idea falls out generally speaking, it’s not because it would work better later,” he admitted. “It’s an alternate to what’s there. So I probably wrote this movie four times, and there’s some stuff I was sorry to let go of. But it’s doubtful that I would recycle it.

“The idea is always for these moments and for these humorous moments and these character moments to come from the situation they’re in at the time. Which will be different.”

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2012, 11:26:06 am »
A War machine appearance would have fit right in BUT I know when Cheadle said "you can have your suit back" in IRON MAN 2 that we would NEVER see him again.

Don't know about that, I'd be surprised if he isn't in Iron Man 3. That said, his absence is kind of glaring. There's an alien invasion and no one thinks to call in the other super armor guy? lol.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2012, 07:49:01 am »
200.3 million bucks for the weekend

Excellent.
Now, All we have to do now is wait for the announcement from the studio through the The Hollywood Reporter that they have already greenlit the prospect for a sequel.

The Avengers sequel gets green light from Disney

A sequel to superhero blockbuster The Avengers has been officially greenlit after Joss Whedon's film racked up a staggering $700m at the global box office in just two weeks.

Disney chief executive Bob Iger made the announcement yesterday as the studio admitted that its earnings for the first quarter of 2012 dropped 12% to $1.2bn compared to the same period last year. The film unit's $84m operating loss for the quarter was blamed largely on the box-office failure of $275m fantasy epic John Carter earlier this year.

Iger also confirmed that Iron Man 3, Thor 2 (both set for 2013) and Captain America 2 (due in 2014) will all be heading to cinemas through Marvel studios, which Disney bought for $4bn in 2009. He did not give a date or other details for the sequel to The Avengers (known as Avengers Assemble in the UK).

Meanwhile it has been revealed that The Avengers helped boost revenues for the $220m film via product placement for at least 18 companies. The luxury car manufacturer Acura was most prominent, having secured a multi-picture deal with Marvel, according to Brand Channel. The company developed a special supercar especially for the movie, Tony Stark's NX Roadster, and also provided a number of other vehicles for key scenes. Other featured brands included ABC, aussieBum, Bose, CNN, Dr Pepper, Harley-Davidson and Southwest Airlines.

The Hollywood Reporter revealed yesterday that British actor Rebecca Hall is in talks to appear opposite Robert Downey Jr in Iron Man 3, following Jessica Chastain's decision to pass on the film due to scheduling issues. Shane Black, director of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, will take the reins on the third instalment.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2012, 09:17:57 am »
WHEDONESQUE:

May 09 2012

The Purple. IN WHICH the guy who comes before "Esque" shares his deep depth, and then links you to a vid of him as a poop coach.

"YeahbuhWHUH?"

--Kitty Pryde

Dear Friends,

Well, it's been quite a weekend. Someday, long from now, I will even have an emotional reaction to it, like a person would. I can't wait! But before I become blinded by this "emotion" experience, there's a few things I'd like to say. Well, type.

People have told me that this matters, that my life is about to change. I am sure that is true. And change is good -- change is exciting. I think -- not to jinx it -- that I may finally be recognized at Comiccon. Imagine! Also, with my percentage of "the Avengers" gross, I can afford to buy... [gets call from agent. Weeps manfully. Resumes typing.] ...a fine meal. But REALLY fine, with truffles and s#!+. And I can get a studio to finance my dream project, the reboot of "Air Bud" that we all feel is so long overdue. (He could play Jai Alai! Think of the emotional ramifications of JAI ALAI!!!!)

What doesn't change is anything that matters. What doesn't change is that I've had the smartest, most loyal, most passionate, most articulate group of -- I'm not even gonna say fans. I'm going with "peeps" -- that any cult oddity such as my bad self could have dreamt of. When almost no one was watching, when people probably should have STOPPED watching, I've had three constants: my family and friends, my collaborators (often the same), and y'all. A lot of stories have come out about my "dark years", and how I'm "unrecognized"... I love these stories, because they make me seem super-important, but I have never felt the darkness (and I'm ALL about my darkness) that they described. Because I have so much. I have people, in my life, on this site, in places I've yet to discover, that always made me feel the truth of success: an artist and an audience communicating. Communicating to the point of collaborating. I've thought, "maybe I'm over; maybe I've said my piece". But never with fear. Never with rancor. Because of y'all. Because you knew me when. If you think topping a box office record compares with someone telling you your work helped them through a rough time, you're probably new here. (For the record, and despite my inhuman distance from the joy-joy of it: topping a box office record is super-dope. I'm an alien, not a robot.) So this is me, saying thank you. All of you. You've taken as much guff for loving my work as I have for over-writing it, and you deserve, in this our time of streaming into the main, to crow. To glow. To crow and go "I told you so", to those Joe Blows not in the know. (LAST time I hire Dr. Seuss to punch my posts up. Yeesh!) Point being, you deserve some honor, AND you deserves some FAQs answered. So please welcome my old friend and certainly not-on-my-payroll reporter/flunky, Rutherford D. Actualperson!

RDA: So good to see you, young Joss! is it possible you've gotten more attractive since we last spoke, and less fungal in odor?

JW: Thanks for noticing. Let's talk.

RDA: "the Scavengers" is a huge success! Does this mean you have changed the very fabric of existence?

JW: Dude, it's just a movie. Also, yes.

RDA: I've seen a lot of a talk about "the Availers" vs "the Dark Knight Rises". How will you feel if you're eclipsed by Nolan?

JW: I'm glad I made you ask that. I will feel sad. But let's look at the bigger picture, and I can't say this enough: THIS IS NOT A ZERO SUM GAME. Our successes, whoever has the mostest, are a boon to each other. We're in the business of proving that superhero movies aren't just eye-candy (they're eye-TRUFFLES!). People seem intent on setting us against each other, and though I'm proud to be Woody Strode to Nolan's Kirk Douglas, I think they're missing the point. Whatever TDKR does on its first weekend, the only stat that matters to me is the ticket I'M definitely buying. Nolan and Raimi INVENTED the true superhero flick, yo. (Special mention to Jon Favreau and James Gunn.) Happy to be in the mix.

RDA: What does this mean for your upcoming slate of tiny independent films/Internet shenanigans? Will they fall by the wayside?

JW: There may be new ideas realized -- I always leave myself open to that -- but my commitment to Wastelanders and Dr H.2 does not waver. Those stories bubble on my stove.

RDA: And TV?

JW: TV is my great love. To tell stories with that alacrity, intensity, and immediacy... Nothing quite like it. I imagine it's not dissimilar to the feeling great poker players have: "Here's what I got, here's where I'm going... How to trick everybody into thinking I know what I'm doing?" [Full disclosure : Joss hates poker. He is probably talking about bridge. But it should apply nonetheless.].

RDA: What message would you give fans of "the Lavenders" who are not so familiar with your previous work?

JW: "Cabin In the Woods": still in (some) theaters!

RDA: Is 'the Ravengers" a perfect movie? It did get an A+ cinemascore...

JW: There are very few perfect movies. "The Court Jester", "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "Godfather" I & II... The list does not go on and on. "The Avengers" is notably IMperfect, which makes its success mean so much more to me -- because it's striking a chord that matters MORE than its obvious flaws. Like the team, it appears to be more than the sun of its parts. Boo-yah!

RDA: What do you feel is the greatest achievement of "the Avoiders"?

JW: Getting "mewling quim" out there to the masses. Also, Hulk.

RDA: Anyone in particular you'd like to thank?

JW: [Reads from notecard]. I couldn't have done this myself. Part of this Saturn Award belongs to Jeremy Latcham, Kevin Feige, and the fine Marvel folk... But the secret ingredient is my closest peeps: J-Mo, who did uncredited punch-up work (carrier battle, yo!), Z-bro, Drew "I am Loki only taller and foppier" Goddard, and Kai, all of whom worked the story with me. Without them (and Jeremy), I'd still be figuring out how the Wasp fits in to this, and where to put Red Hulk.

RDA: What's next for Joss "finally got it right for a change" Whedon?

JW: Can we not call me that?

RDA: Just deal. Whut up?

JW: I really think we should discuss that nickname, but I'm finishing "Much Ado About Nothing" this month. If you liked "the Avengers", you'll love... I can't. It's Shakespeare. And not in the park. I hope it gets watched.

RDA: Any message to your precious "Whedonesk?"

JW: Whedonettes?

RDA: Weeble-eque?

JW: I'm not aware of that group.

RDA: Didn't they know you when?

JW: I'm not sure who you mean. I'm discarding my old fans so I can concentrate on fame, Euro-trash guy-jewelry and my precious "Air Bud" reboot. But, dude, don't print that!

RDA: You have my word.

So, that's our post! Hope you enjoyed it. Hope you'll continue to carry the banner even though other people may have joined the parade. (Kind of a gay pride/Newsies vibe: sentence accomplished!) Hope you understand how I feel. Cliff notes: grateful.

"Here's to us. Who's like us? Damn few"
-- Stephen Sondheim, "Merrily We Roll Along".

"It took a dog playing Jai Alai to teach us humanity!"
--Me, in that awesome film I'm gonna make.

-j., 5/9/12

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2012, 02:55:24 pm »
Dear Friends,

So this is me, saying thank you. All of you. You've taken as much guff for loving my work as I have for over-writing it, and you deserve, in this our time of streaming into the main, to crow. To glow. To crow and go "I told you so", to those Joe Blows not in the know. (LAST time I hire Dr. Seuss to punch my posts up. Yeesh!)

Oh yeah?
The doctor just sent in a fax from the afterlife.  It reads:

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 03:45:14 pm »
One thing I noticed in this movie is something that movies can do so much better than comics can:  demonstrating speed.  For example, Cap's shield hit Thor's head, then Iron Man's head and then returned to his hand. In one way perfect, but at the same time it was
so fast, you could barely recognize what happened till it was over. In comics we see that scene with speed lines and sort of frozen in time.

Another example when Iron Man tore Thor away from Loki or everyone's favorite scene when Hulk went BamBam on Loki. That beat down was so fast it was surprising and that's why it works so well.  In comics, that beatdown would not have had half the effect.

But the scene that is a perfect translation of comic book panel to big screen was Hulk punching the Leviathan in its head, smashing it.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2012, 06:47:13 pm »

But the scene that is a perfect translation of comic book panel to big screen was Hulk punching the Leviathan in its head, smashing it.

That was a living, breathing splash page... and a prime example of a seamless transition between mediums.... great catch!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 02:31:24 am »
I thought "The Avengers" was a fun movie to watch especially if you're a fan of the MARVEL comicbook series in any generation.  I really enjoyed seeing a lot of time spent onboard the S.H.I.E.L.D. heli-carrier! :)  

Earth's Mightiest Super Egos

I think the central theme keeping everything together in this big Hollywood extravaganza, "The Avengers", can be best described as "Freudian" because that was running through my mind watching these comicbook characters come to life from the pages of hand-drawn pencil & pen ink drawings, lettering, colored by halftone in newspaper printed comicbooks of yesteryear.
Which is bigger?  The Id?  The Ego? Or the Super-Ego?  Between Captain America, Iron-Man, Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Thor, Loki and Nick Fury it's hard to tell but after multiple viewings, it will be up to the fans to decide.

So, on a scale from 1 through 5, I give "The Avengers"...
4 membership badges!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:52:34 pm by Battle »