Author Topic: The power of a Black Green Lantern  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
The power of a Black Green Lantern
« on: October 14, 2011, 08:04:12 am »
I've been reading this guy's blog for a while, and found this article about John Stewart inspiring a Scottish kid in London, who has now grown up to be horribly disappointed with the way the character's being (ab)used.
By the people, for the people, screw the people

No, I don't believe that John Stewart would turn his back on his fellow human beings in this way. Indeed, I don't believe that he'd do so under any circumstances. If he believed in this corruption, then he'd fight it. If the law was wrong in having too many loopholes through which cowboy builders can pass, he'd challenge that in the public arena. If he felt unsafe properties were being built because of back-handers and other favours given, then he'd work with the law to expose it. And the fact that he's shown giving up and running away in the context of an argument about the safety of a building, of a skyscraper in a nation in which those terribly raw and painful memories of 9/11 still haunt its citizens, just makes the whole matter more ignorant, more stupidly careless. Did nobody realise that John Stewart wasn't just a man who sometimes designed buildings, but that he was an architect? That his identity was absolutely and indivisibly associated with his creative and professional life, and that his job expressed his ethics every bit as much as his skintight copper's costume does?

Thoughts?

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The power of a Black Green Lantern
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:50:27 am »
Thanks for posting it. Rarely do you see fans that are so passionate about John Stewart. I didn't read the whole post, but from what I did, it has me reconsidering GLC #1 in a different light. I was just happy that they appeared to be focusing on Stewart again, even if he was sharing a book with Guy Gardner. Granted I don't know enough about Stewart's history to say whether I think the blogger is right, though I'm assuming he is about Stewart's past, I can say that I've felt that Stewart has been maligned for a long time in the comics. I don't think that any of the current GL writers 'get' him. Perhaps turning Stewart back into the social crusader would be a way to separate him from the pack.

Though the bloggers description of how Stewart has evolved/devolved over the years seems like how the Civil Rights generation descended into Generations X and Y.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:43:21 pm »
Its an interesting take, I'll give it that.

O'Neil's Stewart would probably have picketed the building at the very least, until he brought the corrupt builders misdeeds to light.

This version of John Stewart decides that its more trouble that its worth to deal with earth law and goes back to where he is more or less a law unto himself. Of course the text wants to say "space is the place" for both John and Guy. There is nothing left for them here on Earth anymore so let 'em go to space and  fight aliens SF being  the genre that the writer wished for in for these stories

There a trend in comics stories for super characters to only hang out with other metas. So superheroes isolating themselves from human society isn't anything new.

The writer clearly belives in the asperational aspect of superhero books.

I just dont think the writers do.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:05:40 pm »
The writer clearly belives in the asperational aspect of superhero books.

I just dont think the writers do.
That's true, but in that case, what is the point of superheroes? I mean, there's a place for the anti-heroes, and stories that challenge the heroic conventions. Not just a place, we need them, just as any genre needs variety, but there seems to now be a lack of variety away from the non-heroic / non-aspirational type of story.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:10:24 pm by Wise Son »

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 05:09:27 pm »
You guys are making some real good points. What is the purpose of the superhero? Especially if they are removed from humanity. I can see there is a push, with this GLC book anyway, to move away from humanity. On one level, I can understand that. Hal Jordan is currently grounded in the main GL book, so he's on Earth, and GL has a great space backdrop that I can see the writers wanting to exploit. But at the same time, it appears that you will have Kyle who will be in space a lot with the New Guardians. So where does John and Guy fit in? With Guy they seem to split his time between space (GLC) and Earth (JLI).

But with John they are going to have him turn his back completely on Earth. It's like the idea of writing Earth-based stories, and there are a lot of issues still on Earth that a Green Lantern could deal with. It seems like the writers still don't know what to do with Stewart. So he can't met a nice Earth girl? Does he have any family, friends? Marine buddies? He's so totally isolated that he really feels so comfortable in space or is it just a lack of interest in developing his character? I think it's more of a lack of interest in building him up, so they keep going back to the planet killer John and having him not move beyond that, whether it is the guilt or people reminding him of it, or just repeating the planet killing, like with the recent War of the Green Lanterns story arc.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 04:33:55 pm »
you guys are going to piss me off into doing JS right and just not calling him John Stewart.

DC will never, ever, never, ever ever ever ever treat John Stewart with respect much less acclaim.

forget about it.

read BlackJack instead.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 10:18:13 pm »
you guys are going to piss me off into doing JS right and just not calling him John Stewart.

Now you're talking...

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 08:29:18 pm »
Years ago, in the early-mid-90s, DC Comics had a series of PSA print ads about HIV/AIDS awareness, featuring the superheroes.  One ad featured John Stewart, but at a later point, future printings of the ad abruptly changed it to Hal Jordan for some reason.

http://tinyurl.com/96pv9ef
(scroll down after hitting link)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 09:24:00 am »
They should give John Stewart his own title. I mean he could still be featured in GLC, but if this is all about the New 52 they should do this right. Here's how I would do John Stewart if I was writing him. I would make him a special agent in the GLC where he would go undercover or on diplomatic missions across the universe. Some of these missions would challenge his values and beliefs and reevaluate his purpose as a hero and a Green Lantern and what it means to wear the ring and responsibilities it comes with it. The GLC, IMO is something akin to the CIA or FBI so I would go further with this concept and use John to tell stories that feature intrigue, suspense and mystery. Some missions will be of a top secret nature but all of them are high risk and have moral consequences.  The appropriate title for this series would be MYSTERY IN SPACE.  I know this title in the past has been associated with Adam Strange but if this is the New 52, they should give the title to John Stewart. DC needs something like Space Noir or a spy book who perfect to headline it than John Stewart. He could be the Alex Cross of the DCU.