Author Topic: George Lucas Betting on Black: Risks His Own $93 Million on ‘Red Tails’  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
EURWEB:

George Lucas Betting on Black: Risks His Own $93 Million on ‘Red Tails’
October 20, 2011

*“Star Wars” creator, George Lucas is really taking a chance with his own money. He’s literally betting on black.

The director financed the bill of $93 million for his newest film, “Red Tails” based on the story of African American pilots (the famed Tuskegee Airmen) in World War II, betting the movie would be a hit.

$93 million is a lot of money for even high rollers like Lucas and there’s no telling how well this flick will do opening day (Jan. 20), especially being that it’ll miss the holiday season of moviegoers.

Anthony Hemingway, Lucas’s handpicked director for “Red Tails,” says the film’s Jan. 20 release date could help bring in viewers looking to do something cultural around the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday.

Hemingway also says that the film’s development went around the typical way movies are produced. “This isn’t about Hollywood,” Hemingway says. ‘This is an independent film.”

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
coolness.. Looking forward to seeing this, I hope there are lots of promotional trailers with the upcoming holiday films.  From what I've seen, the FX are top-notch for sure.. Also, I wonder if there might be a limited release in November/December to qualify for some Oscar nods, not sure if that's part of the agenda, hopefully it is.. Let's see if Mr. Hemingway has Twitter..
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:20:21 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Interesting...  I thought he [Lucas] was going to be directing this project. :-\

I think American movies with an important historical context like this have more of a long term advantage than a short term advantage; Those movies may or may not be hits now, but they'll be hits much, much later.

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
I wish some of us would bet on black.
"Happiness is dancing when the drumming is good."

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2011/09/23/327875/terrence-howard-and-cuba-gooding-jr-on-racism-in-hollywood/
"The…problem, and what becomes the undercurrent is that it’s an all-black cast, and the villains are white. Now, Hollywood, for a number of years has maintained the status quo by saying black films do not have an international value. Therefore we’re able to pay black actors less, we can give them less money to make their films…If this film, if George Lucas, who is basically the Parrish of the film industry, as Col. Noel Parrish did for the Tuskeegee Airbase, he put his entire career on the line and stood behind these black pilots, these American pilots. What George Lucas did, he put his entire career on the line…when they wouldn’t distribute it, he put $30 million into distribution. If this film is not successful, it will become a stumbling block for all time where they can say that black films do not have value or merit. It’s important that this film is supported…if George Lucas does not profit from this, then the rest of the industry will see no profit in black people."— Terrence Howard

Offline James72

• View Profile
Looking forward to seeing Red Tails. 

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
I'm definitely gonna see it. I know a mass of friends and family excited about this one as well.

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
I'll be there.
"Happiness is dancing when the drumming is good."

Offline jackson35

• View Profile
if they bootleg this film, Mr Lucas is going to lose big time.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
if they bootleg this film, Mr Lucas is going to lose big time.
All movies with popular appeal are bootlegged.  The question is does have appeal beyond the bootleg crowd.  Or the question before that, does it have appeal to the bootleg crowd?