Author Topic: The Thing  (Read 3101 times)

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
The Thing
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:56:20 am »
Wasn't going to see this at first because I was getting mixed reviews about Paranormal 3 and I wanted to see a good horror flick for Halloween. I thought, "Why make another remake?". In fact, a remake of a remake. Turns out it wasn't a remake but a prequel to the John Carpenter film. Was still skeptical at first, but ended up liking the movie. Good, neat plot that ties into the JC movie. I kept thinking I'd find holes in the plot, but my inner questions always seemed to get answered as soon as I thought them up. "What happened to person X" or "What about what happened two scenes back?" were always answered. It's like the writer and/or director made this movie from the viewpoint of a skeptical viewer. I also was pleasantly surprised the flick had just enough suspense, gore and things that made me jump a little. Haven't had a movie satisfy me like that in a long time. I'm surprised this movie didn't do better.

If you're a fan of the old John Carpenter film or just want to see a good Halloween film tonight, I recommend seeing The Thing. Just remember not to leave yet when the end credits start to roll.....   ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:01:21 am by Evasive_1 »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Thing
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 05:39:06 pm »
Huge fan of the original! :)

A lot of people have been saying the same thing all over; that the movie was pretty good.  Not as good as the John Carpenter version but 'good' by today's standards.  Some people are also saying that if anything, the movie suffers from too much CGI but I'm gonna check it out first chance I get.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:12:34 am »
Some people are also saying that if anything, the movie suffers from too much CGI but I'm gonna check it out first chance I get.

Doesn't "too much CGI" really mean the CGI was wack? I don't remember anybody saying Avatar, for instance, had too much CGI.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 12:37:24 am »
Doesn't "too much CGI" really mean the CGI was wack? I don't remember anybody saying Avatar, for instance, had too much CGI.

Movies like Avatar, the Star Wars series, the Harry Potter series and Lord of the Ring series all use CGI extensively but it's a seamless and creative blend of both acting, editing, and cinematography to help tell the story.
Movies like Battle: LA, 2012 and Transformers also use CGI extensively but its overuse can be obtrusive and sometimes even annoying and can barely tell the story well. Now, this comparison may very well be subjective, however, that's what I experience whenever I'm viewing big budgeted, special-effects ladened movies like those.  It's a sensory overload to me.

There is this one shot in this version of The Thing I saw in the trailer where a vehicle (looks like a truck) is falling into a collaspsing, darkened shaft and my immediate reaction is,

"Oh, that's CGI...!" :-[

I can only imagine what the rest of the movie is like.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:47:42 am »
"The Thing" is finally rotating on cable this month and  I'll have to say that while this is fair prequel to the 1982 classic, the best part of the entire movie is when the credits roll (and that's a good thing!). ;D

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:44:40 pm »
According to IMDb, artist Drew Struzan created the poster for the original 1982 film basically overnight and without having seen any publicity photos.