Author Topic: kentucky church bans interracial couples  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
kentucky church bans interracial couples
« on: December 01, 2011, 08:07:02 pm »
http://tinyurl.com/c5a5655

curious.. more side-effects from tea party fever, I guess... don't want to condone any future "obamas"...  :-\
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: kentucky church bans interracial couples
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:02:54 pm »
Check out this comment in the comments section, Hype:

tmw6449 says:

Hey People, if you don't like what the church believes in, don't be a part of it. What makes any of you think you can tell anyone else how to live. Oh, did my last sentence sound familiar. When liberals don't like what a conservative says, they always use that line. And again, someone has to include the Tea Party. The church does not represent the Tea Party in any way , shape or form. And banning interracial couples does not make them racist. One is white and the other is black. Which one are they being racist toward? That statement makes as much since as the church is sexist, because one is female and one is male. Now if they said NO Blacks Allowed, then that would make them racist. It would be nice if some people used they brain before they speak. P.S. My states don't mean I support their views on this issue any more than I support their views on baptism. It's their belief not mine. BUT THEY HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BELIEVE WHAT THEY WANT TO BELIEVE. Everybody else needs to get a life.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 05:28:12 am »
You know one way to stop churches from doing this sh*t is to take away their benefits of tax cuts. They'll stop in no time
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:47:34 pm by BmoreAkuma »
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 06:02:14 am »
"banning interracial couples does not make you racist"....so many people want to commit racist acts but really hate being called racist.  And so many people don't understand what the term even means.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:03:32 am »
Check out this comment in the comments section, Hype:

tmw6449 says:

Hey People, if you don't like what the church believes in, don't be a part of it. What makes any of you think you can tell anyone else how to live. Oh, did my last sentence sound familiar. When liberals don't like what a conservative says, they always use that line. And again, someone has to include the Tea Party. The church does not represent the Tea Party in any way , shape or form. And banning interracial couples does not make them racist. One is white and the other is black. Which one are they being racist toward? That statement makes as much since as the church is sexist, because one is female and one is male. Now if they said NO Blacks Allowed, then that would make them racist. It would be nice if some people used they brain before they speak. P.S. My states don't mean I support their views on this issue any more than I support their views on baptism. It's their belief not mine. BUT THEY HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BELIEVE WHAT THEY WANT TO BELIEVE. Everybody else needs to get a life.

lol.. this poster needed to think before they typed.. the nu-bigots are a trip.. it's like, they want to look at racist behavior/policy as no more socially offensive than saying you don't like jellybeans or brussells sprouts..

...I wouldn't be interested in going back to that church even if they 'reversed' their decision..

You know one way to stop churches from doing this sh*t is to take away their benefits is tax cuts. They'll stop in no time
I wouldn't be offended if outfits like this got put in check like that.. of course, then would come the howls of 'government overreach' by Fox & Friends..  ;)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:27:37 am »
I agree with removing their tax exempt status.  If you are your own organization without any government help, be as racist as you want and all the decent people who avoid you like the plague and leave you to be jackasses.  But when you received government money/assistance/tax breaks, this stuff shouldn't be tolerated.  I actually have the same issue with the Boy Scouts of America and their stance on not allowing gay or atheist members.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 07:47:08 pm »
I agree with removing their tax exempt status.  If you are your own organization without any government help, be as racist as you want and all the decent people who avoid you like the plague and leave you to be jackasses.  But when you received government money/assistance/tax breaks, this stuff shouldn't be tolerated.  I actually have the same issue with the Boy Scouts of America and their stance on not allowing gay or atheist members.
exactly. I've been on this point for years. Many people of the church get upset but guess what "spreading hate" like this is not cool and the only way for them to learn their lesson is to take something like that away.

I wouldn't be offended if outfits like this got put in check like that.. of course, then would come the howls of 'government overreach' by Fox & Friends..  ;)
Didnt they a couple of times got James David Manning and "called him out"? But I wont lie I do look at fox and friends sometimes for some of the women. Gretchen Carlson is very attractive and some of the other ladies that come in her place lol
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 02:26:05 am »
If you are your own organization without any government help, be as racist as you want and all the decent people who avoid you like the plague and leave you to be jackasses.

I don't agree with this sentiment at all.
What if every independant organization in the U.S. adopted this policy (which they do)?  We would be back to square one with the Kentucky church.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:01:34 pm by Battle »

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 04:13:09 am »
If you are your own organization without any government help, be as racist as you want and all the decent people who avoid you like the plague and leave you to be jackasses.

I don't agree with this sediment at all.
What if every independant organization in the U.S. adopted this policy (which they do)?  We would be back to square one with the Kentucky church.

This reminds me of the Racial Preference Licensing Act from Derrick Bell's Faces At The Bottom Of The Well.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 07:51:23 am »

I don't agree with this sediment at all.
What if every independant organization in the U.S. adopted this policy (which they do)?  We would be back to square one with the Kentucky church.

This reminds me of the Racial Preference Licensing Act from Derrick Bell's Faces At The Bottom Of The Well.

Some of his stories would make for a good Hollywood movie.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 08:25:30 am »
huffington post:

Gulnare Free Will Baptist Church: Kentucky Congregation Overturns Ban On Interracial Couples

12/ 4/11 09:54 PM ET   
React
Amazing
Inspiring
Funny
Scary
Hot
Crazy
Important
Weird
Follow
  Poll ,   Video , Bv-Life , Church Bans Interracial Dating , Interracial Couple , Interracial Couple Banned From Church , Interracial Dating , Interracial Marriage , Kentucky , Kentucky Church Bans , Pike Church , Religion News
SHARE THIS STORY

Get Religion Alerts
Submit this story
PIKEVILLE, Ky. An eastern Kentucky church under a firestorm of criticism since members voted to bar mixed-race couples from joining the congregation overturned that decision Sunday, saying it welcomes all believers.

Stacy Stepp, pastor of the Gulnare Free Will Baptist Church in Pike County, told The Associated Press that the vote by nine people last week was declared null and void after it was determined that new bylaws can't run contrary to local, state or national laws. He said the proposal was discriminatory, therefore it couldn't be adopted.

Stepp said about 30 people who attended church services voted on a new resolution that welcomes "believers into our fellowship regardless of race, creed or color."

The issue came up at the tiny all-white Appalachian church after the daughter of church secretary Dean Harville visited over the summer with her boyfriend, who is from Africa, and the two sang for the congregation.

Harville said he was approached in August by Melvin Thompson, the church member who crafted the resolution to bar mixed-race couples, and was told that his daughter and her boyfriend were no longer allowed to sing at the church.

Thompson has said he is not racist and called the matter an "internal affair."

Stepp said the Sandy Valley Conference of Free Will Baptists declared the vote on Thompson's resolution null and void during a meeting on Saturday.

He said he told church members on Sunday about the decision and proposed a resolution to promote "peace, love and harmony."

He said the resolution to welcome all believers passed with a unanimous vote.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 08:28:57 am »
PIKEVILLE, Ky. An eastern Kentucky church under a firestorm of criticism since members voted to bar mixed-race couples from joining the congregation overturned that decision Sunday, saying it welcomes all believers.

Of course, they overturned it.
See what you can accomplish with a little...motivation.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 09:34:03 am »
I wonder if they were against ALL interracial relationships or just the Black-White version?

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 09:47:26 am »
I wonder if they were against ALL interracial relationships or just the Black-White version?
that is a great question but honestly when the discussion of interracial comes up it is always black/white.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 09:49:34 am »
that is a great question but honestly when the discussion of interracial comes up it is always black/white.
Especially a black man and a white woman.