Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 126390 times)

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #825 on: April 02, 2017, 03:08:53 pm »
! No longer available

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 02, 2017, 07:08:33 pm »
Digging the new Thundercat album.  Not everything but it's ambitious and when it hits it's nice.

Offline Michael Jewett

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 06, 2017, 07:50:24 am »
   Ruler Rebel is another winner from trumpeter Christian Scott Atunde Adjuah.

Offline APEXABYSS

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 16, 2017, 02:01:03 pm »

Raury -- “God’s Whisper”  (2015) love the message... too bad it was not represented in the video. maybe it was!

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 07, 2017, 06:59:04 am »
Jay Z's 4:44 is just what the doctor ordered. It's the most personal album of his career. It's for grown folks, loaded with game, has real bars and so much better than Magna Carta: Holy Grail. The production from No I.D. is solid, it provides a cohesive foundation but few real bangers. My favorites are "The Story of O.J.", "Smile", "Family Feud" and "Bam"...but it's a shame I won't be listening to them in two weeks. As mush as I loved Kendrick Lamar's "Damn." it's been out of rotation for two months, with the exception of "DNA". Albums just don't have the longevity they used to in this era of playlists and streaming.

The whole project is going over the heads of today's kids. They're not buying houses or making smart investments, they're too busy buying molly and percocets. (When did hip-hop go from selling drugs to taking them? I've lived too long.) Jay comes across as smug and preachy, so it's a good thing he got Sprint to buy up blocks of sales that ensured he went platinum in 3 days. That's cheating, but leave it to Jay to make being the old man of hip-hop work to his advantage.

I kind of agree with 50 Cent, 4:44 is too smart to be popular and sounds like golf course music. I'm here for smart rap, but you gotta have the beats to back it up. Anyway 50 is full of it, he wishes he had found a way to evolve in his craft and subject matter like Jay did, while remaining relevant.

Offline APEXABYSS

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 10, 2017, 08:19:39 am »
Jay Z's 4:44 is just what the doctor ordered. It's the most personal album of his career. It's for grown folks, loaded with game, has real bars and so much better than Magna Carta: Holy Grail. The production from No I.D. is solid, it provides a cohesive foundation but few real bangers. My favorites are "The Story of O.J.", "Smile", "Family Feud" and "Bam"...but it's a shame I won't be listening to them in two weeks. As mush as I loved Kendrick Lamar's "Damn." it's been out of rotation for two months, with the exception of "DNA". Albums just don't have the longevity they used to in this era of playlists and streaming.

The whole project is going over the heads of today's kids. They're not buying houses or making smart investments, they're too busy buying molly and percocets. (When did hip-hop go from selling drugs to taking them? I've lived too long.) Jay comes across as smug and preachy, so it's a good thing he got Sprint to buy up blocks of sales that ensured he went platinum in 3 days. That's cheating, but leave it to Jay to make being the old man of hip-hop work to his advantage.

I kind of agree with 50 Cent, 4:44 is too smart to be popular and sounds like golf course music. I'm here for smart rap, but you gotta have the beats to back it up. Anyway 50 is full of it, he wishes he had found a way to evolve in his craft and subject matter like Jay did, while remaining relevant.

Agreed! Very well spoken, TripleX!

High school & college students want that HARD “Sugar-Honey-Ice-Tea!”  Where are the club-bangers? Where are the summer-time jams, Jay Zzzzzzz?  Bam= dope! J wants to handle rap like a gentlemen. The streets want that gangsta ish! Me? I want more diversity in hip hop.

“The streets is watchin’!”- Jay Z

The streets have spoken…

Everywhere I go in the Lou & on the East Side, all I hear is (@ the clubs, on the block & in the rides)...

Another “Ill-Side” Anthem (I think Battle put that phrase out there)!

"Gang Gang"-- Blac Youngsta, Moneybagg Yo & Yo Gotti (2016) goes hard despite the murderous lyrics! BANG!

Yep, Gangsta Rap! Not “Trap” music! The song is called “Gang Gang”!

Why? The ish thumps! It’s work-out music! It’s the new corrupt rock & roll BANG!

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 31, 2017, 10:39:14 am »
Thanks man.

Tyler the Creator has been on my computer a week now and I just listened to it today. It's fire. He's trying to get Grammys with "Scum Fu@% Flower Boy".

It sounds a lot like Chance (experimental in a good way) but with more of an edge. It's soulful with crooning like Frank Ocean but when Tyler spits it's flames.

Wait until the horns come in...

https://youtu.be/EZE62LpaqHg

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:15:19 am by TripleX »

Offline APEXABYSS

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 04, 2017, 11:12:22 am »
African Scream Contest - Raw & Psychedelic Afro Sounds from Benin & Togo 1970s

El Rego Et Ses Commandos - "Se Na Min"

W.W.O. soundtrack...
XXXTentacion - "Garette's Revenge" (2017) My fav song from a hip hop artist, right now. DOPE!

Benny Hill - "Maria" (1979) BH: "Am I a dirty old man or a comedic genius? " Response: "You're a dirty old comedic genius!"

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 04, 2017, 04:56:36 pm »
! No longer available

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 06, 2017, 11:41:39 am »
Spent an hour yesterday making a Stevie Wonder greatest hits cd with my favorite songs of his. Of course they all didn't fit and I get funny looks when I play "I Was Made To Love Her" loud at red lights. Also made an Odds & Ends oldies cd that bangs...

1. Archie Bell & the Drells - Tighten Up
2. Mungo Jerry - In the Summertime
3. The Blackbyrds - Walking in Rhythm
4. Daryl Hall & John Oates - Sara Smile
5. Daryl Hall & John Oates - She's Gone
6. 10cc - I'm Not in Love
7. Billy Preston - Will It Go Round in Circles
8. Billy Preston - Nothing From Nothing
9. William Devaughn - Be Thankful
10. Bootsy Collins - I'd Rather Be With You
11. Parliament - Chocolate City
12. Parliament - P Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)
13. Kool & The Gang - Jungle Boogie
14. War - Lowrider
15. War - Cisco Kid

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 07, 2017, 09:20:37 am »
Spent an hour yesterday making a Stevie Wonder greatest hits cd with my favorite songs of his. Of course they all didn't fit and I get funny looks when I play "I Was Made To Love Her" loud at red lights. Also made an Odds & Ends oldies cd that bangs...

14. War - Lowrider
15. War - Cisco Kid
That's banging, XXX.
I like sub-genre mixes like that. Those 10cc and Hall & Oates records are on my Cool Ass White Boy playlist.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline APEXABYSS

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 08, 2017, 10:28:34 am »

14. War - Lowrider
15. War - Cisco Kid

That's banging, XXX.
I like sub-genre mixes like that. Those 10cc and Hall & Oates records are on my Cool Ass White Boy playlist.

Stevie is the G.O.A.T.  Billy Preston was the fifth Beatle! " ... Let the bad-guy win, every once in a while..."
Cool Ass White Boy playlist? Check out Dennis Coffey! Dude worked for MoTown & produced the “Black Belt Jones” theme song plus the “Enter The Dragon” theme song.

Huh? No ladies?

Straight Outta Long Beach... Suburban Lawn was a “New Wave” punk band made up of CalArts students... with Lead singer Sue "Su Tissue" McLane.

Suburban Lawns -- "Janitor" (1980) you will never get this song out of your head.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 15, 2017, 02:14:07 pm »
Marvin Gaye - "I Heard It Through The Grapevine "

Offline APEXABYSS

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 20, 2017, 01:31:28 pm »
Sunday Gospel/  A beautifully sad song

Black prisoners worked in gangs to break rocks and clear swamps relied on the repeated rhythms and chants of work songs (originating in the forced gang labor of slavery) to set the pace for their collective labor. "Long John" mixed religious and secular concerns, including the notion of successful escape from bondage, a deeply felt desire of both slaves and prisoners.

Black convicts at Darrington State Prison Farm in Sandy Point, Texas (1934). "Lightning Long John"

Lyrics (all lines repeated):
Well it's Long John, He's long gone, He's long gone, He's long gone,

Well if I hadn't listened, What the road they say, I could sit at home, And a rode this day, Well if I wasn't listen, Got to runnin' around,  First thing I know, I was jail house bound, Well I got in jail, With my mouth poked out, Well now I'm in the pen, and I can't get out, It's Long John, He's long gone, It's Long John, Oh, Long John,

Well it's on me, Here's a pair of shoes, Was a funny shoes, That was ever seen, Had a heel in front, Had a heel behind, Well it's gettin' nowhere, That the boy was blind, It's Long John, He's long gone, He's Long John, Oh, Long John,

Well in 2 or 3 minutes, Let me catch my wind, And in 2, 3 minutes, I'm gone again, Oh, Long John, Oh, Long John,

Gonna call this summer, Ain't gonna call no more, If I call next summer, He's on the move, He's long gone, He's long gone, It's Long John, He's long gone,

Well the god say, In the chapter 14, If the man live, Let his sin be free, Well Long John, He's long gone,

Like a turkey through the corn, Through the long corn, Well it's Long John, Had a mother like god, Well it's Long John, Well it's tender foot John, With his long clothes on, Just a skippin' through the corn, Oh, Long John, Was long gone, He's long gone, He's long gone, ..

Well did you boys here What the captain said After you boys work Gonna take your footy wear Well if you don't work gonna give you plenty hell Oh, long gone It's Long John Oh, long gone it's Long John

what you boys done well, you read on down,  well you read on down, bout the chapter 16, well the road god said, well the road god said, After you boys old, After you boys old, I'm a drop in on down, With my wheat and zea, All are in my hand, Gonna kill every weed That are in this land, I'm a long gone, I'm a long gone, I'm a long gone Oh, Long John

Well the god say, In the chapter 14, If a man die, He can live again...

(BROTHAS GONNA WORK IT OUT-- P.E.)

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 23, 2017, 10:39:56 am »
I waited way too long to get 2Chainz. "Pretty Girls Like Trap Music" is a summertime banger. My faves on it are "Good Drank", "It's A Vibe", "Blue Cheese" and the surprisingly motivational "Rolls Royce B*tc#". The project is more serious than you may be used to from 2Chainz, but he has some laugh out loud punchlines too like, "I wear Gucci flip flops to your momma's house just to leave them there" and "I'll sing in your girl's face like I'm Drake". There's a lot of wisdom on the album as well, 2Chainz is no dummy, which is evident by the cohesive concept and marketing campaign. Of course the pink trap house cover art is legendary and will go down in history as one of Hip-Hop's most iconic album covers. (Someone should make a thread about all the others on the list.)