Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 156385 times)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #885 on: September 14, 2018, 03:09:15 pm »
Great selection, Battle. I wasn't aware of this version of the song nor did I know that Charles Stepney produced a Marlena Shaw album. Thanks for sharing.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 16, 2018, 01:40:16 pm »
Great selection, Battle. I wasn't aware of this version of the song nor did I know that Charles Stepney produced a Marlena Shaw album. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry for the late reply...    power outages all over the Eastern side of South Carolina last Friday finally restored approximately 1:35 p.m. E.S.T., this Sunday.

Wasn't Charles Stepney part of the engineering/production team for a lot of early Hip Hop recordings in the 80s?    :-\

Yeah... the interesting trivia about that song is that it's a cover from The Messengers. 

Aside from Marlena Shaw's version, there is another version by the popular 1960's duet, Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 17, 2018, 01:18:27 pm »

Sorry for the late reply...    power outages all over the Eastern side of South Carolina last Friday finally restored approximately 1:35 p.m. E.S.T., this Sunday.

Wasn't Charles Stepney part of the engineering/production team for a lot of early Hip Hop recordings in the 80s?    :-\

Yeah... the interesting trivia about that song is that it's a cover from The Messengers. 

Aside from Marlena Shaw's version, there is another version by the popular 1960's duet, Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell.
Charles Stepney was Earth, Wind & Fire's producer until Spirit (which is dedicated to him) when he died from a heart attack. So he didn't make it to the 80s.  :(

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 17, 2018, 03:27:02 pm »
Charles Stepney was Earth, Wind & Fire's producer until Spirit (which is dedicated to him) when he died from a heart attack. So he didn't make it to the 80s.  :(

You're absolutely correct, Curtis Metcalf.

I had mistakenly thought of publicist Bill Stepheny & Hank Shocklee (who repped Public Enemy back-in-th'-day).   

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 18, 2018, 09:49:22 am »
I had mistakenly thought of publicist Bill Stepheny & Hank Shocklee (who repped Public Enemy back-in-th'-day).   
Ah yes, the Bomb Squad. They also did Amerikkka's Most Wanted in addition to the PE masterpieces. Production greatness.