Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 163088 times)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #885 on: September 14, 2018, 03:09:15 pm »
Great selection, Battle. I wasn't aware of this version of the song nor did I know that Charles Stepney produced a Marlena Shaw album. Thanks for sharing.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 16, 2018, 01:40:16 pm »
Great selection, Battle. I wasn't aware of this version of the song nor did I know that Charles Stepney produced a Marlena Shaw album. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry for the late reply...    power outages all over the Eastern side of South Carolina last Friday finally restored approximately 1:35 p.m. E.S.T., this Sunday.

Wasn't Charles Stepney part of the engineering/production team for a lot of early Hip Hop recordings in the 80s?    :-\

Yeah... the interesting trivia about that song is that it's a cover from The Messengers. 

Aside from Marlena Shaw's version, there is another version by the popular 1960's duet, Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 17, 2018, 01:18:27 pm »

Sorry for the late reply...    power outages all over the Eastern side of South Carolina last Friday finally restored approximately 1:35 p.m. E.S.T., this Sunday.

Wasn't Charles Stepney part of the engineering/production team for a lot of early Hip Hop recordings in the 80s?    :-\

Yeah... the interesting trivia about that song is that it's a cover from The Messengers. 

Aside from Marlena Shaw's version, there is another version by the popular 1960's duet, Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell.
Charles Stepney was Earth, Wind & Fire's producer until Spirit (which is dedicated to him) when he died from a heart attack. So he didn't make it to the 80s.  :(

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 17, 2018, 03:27:02 pm »
Charles Stepney was Earth, Wind & Fire's producer until Spirit (which is dedicated to him) when he died from a heart attack. So he didn't make it to the 80s.  :(

You're absolutely correct, Curtis Metcalf.

I had mistakenly thought of publicist Bill Stepheny & Hank Shocklee (who repped Public Enemy back-in-th'-day).   

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 18, 2018, 09:49:22 am »
I had mistakenly thought of publicist Bill Stepheny & Hank Shocklee (who repped Public Enemy back-in-th'-day).   
Ah yes, the Bomb Squad. They also did Amerikkka's Most Wanted in addition to the PE masterpieces. Production greatness.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: September 23, 2018, 08:20:16 am »
Tiger Woods is 18 holes away from 1st victory in 5 years with a 3-shot lead at Tour Championship

When Tiger drops that last birdie, throw this record on courtesy of selector Mikie Dread TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzmbOhCX9k

TIGER - 'When'

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 17, 2018, 12:16:49 pm »
To me, all Hollywood movies are variations of the all-time classic, 'The Wizard of Oz'!  Dorothy is my favorite character next to that clever lil' terrier... 

TOTO - AFRICA

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 18, 2018, 11:56:13 am »
Really appreciate when rappers get their 'grown-man' on.

Smooth rapper, Positive K can rap to most anything, even to Stevie Wonder's "All I Do".

Positive K - "Think About You"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d58G0-PDbm8

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 01, 2018, 08:21:42 pm »
Mick Jenkins - Pieces of a Man
Styles P/Dave East - Beloved
Tory Lanez - Love Me Now?
Travis Scott - Astroworld
Kevin Gates - Luca Brasi 3
YG - Stay Dangerous

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 11, 2018, 10:23:31 am »
Always thought of Mr. Hudlin as a gentleman, a classy person who has an ego the size of Paramount yet down to Mother Earth as fresh green grass.

Trying to think of a theme song that best characterizes Hudlin Entertainment and this record keeps playing in my mind.

Here is the program theme for Hugh Hefner’s syndicated variety/talk television programs “Playboy Penthouse” (1959-61) and “Playboy After Dark” (1969-70).

This is what HEF could be inside each of our collective minds, except with more diversity, more political intrigue, more humor, and a touch of vintage, bringing you tomorrow's entertainment today.

Playboy's Theme - Cy Coleman w/ Orchestra

Would you Like To Hear More?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJVdqsAffbY