Author Topic: Girls Basketball Team, racist pre-game chant  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Girls Basketball Team, racist pre-game chant
« on: December 12, 2011, 09:38:34 am »
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/high-school-student-puts-stop-racist-team-chant-202200578.html

:o

I'm glad I wasn't a news anchor reading this for the first time.  I might get in trouble.. When stuff like this comes out, I have to admit my nontraditional sense of humor kicks in.. Sometimes I have to initially laugh at the sheer absurdity and bizarreness of it all, though certainly the incident was not funny for the young girl in question..

..The way my mind processes these things.. I have to wonder.. For how long had this 'tradition' been going on in that school?  When did it start?  Just what did the young women get out of it?  Was it a "Shazam!" type thing?  By saying "1 -2 - 3 ******!" maybe they could channel some 'blackness' and have an edge over the other team ('cause we all know who's "best" at basketball, right?   ;) )  Perhaps ironically, do any of these young women dream of entering the WNBA?  (or admire any of its black players?) Ah, well...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:56:55 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: Girls Basketball Team, racist pre-game chant
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:23:11 am »
I'm glad I wasn't a news anchor reading this for the first time.  I might get in trouble.. When stuff like this comes out, I have to admit my nontraditional sense of humor kicks in.. Sometimes I have to initially laugh at the sheer absurdity and bizarreness of it all, though certainly the incident was not funny for the young girl in question..

I have to agree...this is a WTF moment if there ever was one.  The fact that nobody, from the players to the school, ended this as soon as it started is stupefying.  That they are saying it's not racist, it's just a word...how the hell do you respond to such idiocy and ignorance?   

Offline DRobinson

• Hudlin's Huddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:19:17 pm »

That they are saying it's not racist, it's just a word...how the hell do you respond to such idiocy and ignorance?   
[/quote]

You don't. It speaks for itself.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 02:30:06 pm »
If it was really "just a word", then why did they object to changing it when their teammate called them on it?

The girls knew damn well what they were doing.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:38:32 pm »
If it was really "just a word", then why did they object to changing it when their teammate called them on it?

The girls knew damn well what they were doing.

Then again, high school jocks, whether male or female,  aren't always known for thier aptitude in grasping truths and understanding.

Offline jackson35

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:29:16 am »
this basketball team obviously  did not bring common sense or a backbone to school.