Author Topic: Facebook Timeline  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
Facebook Timeline
« on: December 17, 2011, 12:05:12 am »
What do you think of it?

I haven't switched over, but I've seen some profiles of people who have. I don't know what I think about it yet, not that I'm going to have much choice.

What do you think? I like the big-ass banner picture, go figure...

The idea of someone having easier access to my posts over the past few years, though... I may have to go through and make sure I haven't talked sh*t 4 years ago about someone now on my friends' list or someone they know!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook Timeline
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 01:32:27 am »
I can't hardly remember what the old look was, although the running timeline on the side of the page is stupid to me.  I like the old approach when you could see everything.  I just ignore that ticker.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 07:24:43 am »
Not quite... Facebook "Timeline" is the newest big change that Facebook is rolling out to everyone's personal profile. It puts EVERYTHING out there and makes it more searchable...including stuff you've said 3-4-5 years ago.

Go here: http://www.facebook.com/about/timeline

Instead of watching/reading all that stuff, scroll to the bottom of the screen where it lists your friends who already have Timeline. Click on one of them. If it looks just like the profiles you've been seeing, go back and pick someone else. (It hasn't rolled out to everyone who asked for it, yet.) You'll know you are at a "Timeline" profile when you see a big ass banner picture looking right at you.

Back to what you were saying, that ticker on the side of the page is absolutely aggravating to me. I really don't want to see the details of every conversation that my friends are having with someone else (who I may not even know). It actually irritates me that I don't even have the option of opting out of that ticker! It also gets on my nerves that Facebook is filtering out what makes it into my News Feed. I just want it in simple chronological order where everything rolls by. I click the "Recent Stories" tab uptop first and it STILL filters people!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 08:30:57 am »
Yes, DON'T filter my news feed.  My number one bug about fb...actually second.  the inablity to remove pictures is number one, and the lack of spell check is number two, the news feed is three, and the spam is four.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 08:53:00 am »
Not quite... Facebook "Timeline" is the newest big change that Facebook is rolling out to everyone's personal profile. It puts EVERYTHING out there and makes it more searchable...including stuff you've said 3-4-5 years ago.

I wouldn't worry 'bout it...

What could you possibly have said 3-4-5 years ago on FB that could be any worse than anything said at HEF?

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 09:08:44 am »
Good point... I feel more comfortable giving my franker opinion of racial subjects here on HEF than on Facebook.

I think perhaps I can at times be a little too casual in what I say on Facebook. I know one thing for sure I have to do before Timeline hits my profile is go back and remove (or at least "hide") what I said while interviewing/auditioning for the last job I had! Granted, it was nothing TOO bad, but more reflecting that I have people on my Friends list now who go to that church and don't want them to see that I was joking (over a year ago) about "eye-dominating" someone else competing for the same job!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 09:12:37 am »
Good point... I feel more comfortable giving my franker opinion of racial subjects here on HEF than on Facebook.

Same here.
That's why I love this site! ;D

I think perhaps I can at times be a little too casual in what I say on Facebook. I know one thing for sure I have to do before Timeline hits my profile is go back and remove (or at least "hide") what I said while interviewing/auditioning for the last job I had! Granted, it was nothing TOO bad, but more reflecting that I have people on my Friends list now who go to that church and don't want them to see that I was joking (over a year ago) about "eye-dominating" someone else competing for the same job!

Doesn't anyone appreciate sheer honesty anymore??? ;D

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 07:46:37 am »
I feel the same way about Facebook in discussing sensitive topics in comparison to here. But however I didnt listen to myself and now well all the people on my FB Friends list (including my mother) know that I am a non-believer. Well she kinda knew but it is out there. I had to fess up eventually. Basically one of my friends brought up life as a non-believer. At first I avoided it but then it wind up being a very mature and adult discussion that lasted for over 80 comments among us. (all 4 of us LOL)
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 08:57:18 am »
Okay, I initially was confused on the mention of timeline...I thought you were referring to fb's LAST change.

I HATE the new timeline!  Hard to follow, just a mess. 

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 10:25:57 am »
I haven't switched over, obviously. I'm just going to leave it like FB's other changes and let them drag me over kicking and screaming. I just can't get into that whole "everything is indexed and searchable" thing. I agree with you Reggie; it kind of hurts my eyes. I mostly avoid looking at someone else's profile!

Go figure that Google+ is also searchable, but that doesn't bother me as much because I knew it WOULD be when I started using it. Facebook, I at least had some "comfort" in knowing that someone would have to spend hours digging back to find something I said 5 years ago. Once they force Timeline on everyone, someone only has to click "2007" and they can see me ranting about my altos not showing up to choir rehearsal.

Akuma - I haven't had any "huge secrets" come out that I know about. (If I have, then it is a secret even from me.) One thing that I'm seeing that is alarming - to me - is personal conflicts erupting and playing out via FB on walls where everyone can see. 2-3 times, my brother found out his GF dumped him (temporarily... thank God it is now permanent) by logging into FB and seeing "GF relationship status is now 'single.'" One of my best friends is watching his family slug it out both on FB and IRL. It's insane.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 05:50:18 pm »
Akuma - I haven't had any "huge secrets" come out that I know about. (If I have, then it is a secret even from me.) One thing that I'm seeing that is alarming - to me - is personal conflicts erupting and playing out via FB on walls where everyone can see. 2-3 times, my brother found out his GF dumped him (temporarily... thank God it is now permanent) by logging into FB and seeing "GF relationship status is now 'single.'" One of my best friends is watching his family slug it out both on FB and IRL. It's insane.
That is the thing thanks to the sidebar people see your posts. It is not that I dont want people to know it is just tiresome having to defend myself. The relationship status thing can be brutal. Shoot at one point my cousin got so pissed at her baby daddy that she posted a picture of the DNA results stating the he is the father of her son. Story was he claims "he wasnt the father" come to find out he was.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.