rarely
0 (0%)
absolutely not
0 (0%)
Who doesn't
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: August 30, 2006, 11:08:14 am

Author Topic: Barry Bonds  (Read 7003 times)

Offline cooper09

• View Profile
Barry Bonds
« on: July 31, 2006, 11:08:14 am »
Do you thinik Barry Bonds is guilty of any wrong-doing or is this just a steriod witch hunt..

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
Re: Barry Bonds
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 12:00:50 pm »

I don't think the issue is whether he used steroids.  He is now facing
indictment for lying to a grand jury.  I'm not a doctor but looking at
Barry Bonds - he doesn't look normal.  I think he wore the steroids
out.

If All You Do Is What You've Done, Then All You'll Get Is What You've Got.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 12:46:21 pm »
i voted he did before i saw the last option who doesn't. that would actually be my vote. i think the purest only exist in baseball because of the history. i read the book and it is startling what these cats went through for the glory. tim montgomery gained 24 pounds of pure muscle mass in 8 weeks. 8 weeks. he went from 175 pound tiny tim to a 205 pound freak in two months. the stress on the body has to be horific. imo when i read the book, bonds and the others came off symphathetic. when he was the best player by far and i remember his season in 1998 the year mcgwyer and sosa went at it and he had a wonderful year. but he was ignored for the steroid freaks. so what he do. he became one. and i bet the majority of people would do it as well.

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:27:28 pm »
Yes it may be a hunt, nobody was looking for answers when McGwire blew up, but what gets me is they have you dead-to-rights leaving Balco and you claim you were just there to what... tour the labs? C'mon man, if you did it... just admit it.

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 10:35:39 pm »

We have the right not to incriminate ourselves, so he didn't have to admit to
anything.  He should have just pled the fifth or something instead of lying.  Can
you plead the fifth amendment when testifying before a grand jury?  Anyone?
Cuz when the feds ask you questions, they normally already know the answers,
and they're just trying to catch you in a lie.  You can get into more trouble for
lying than for whatever your original offense was.

Offline The Dark Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 11:54:25 pm »
he didn't have to admit to anything. 
Back-up -- I didn't say he HAD to do anything. That's part of the problem, people only doing things because they HAVE to. He should want to come clean. He's already sullied his rep so maybe he's not worried about it.

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 12:08:09 am »

He was doing steroids, cheating at the game - but now you
expect that he should want to be honest and come clean?

Offline The Dark Wright

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 01:36:11 am »
That's the problem, I feel, people have with Barry. He's not very likable, even before the steroid scandal, then he uses, breaks all kinds of major records, is caught (no, not actually injecting himself) but people can put two-and-two together. Now it's like "give him an asterisk so people will know" -- I mean, damn, just s**t compounding upon more s**t and what does that leave you with...? Just a big ol' pile of s**t, right? I guess I don't expect him to do anything... his conscious obviously isn't kicking his ass enough to say "man, what have I done?" I would just hope he'd try to redeem himself, his dignity, his actual love for the game (if he has any... left) and... I don't know -- am I making any kind of case?

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 01:37:34 am »

Yes.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 07:32:07 am »
yea you are but you do know between the stoeroids and the amphetiamines (sp)/ speed a lot of these guys were cheating. im not one to single barry out. if evryone around you were getting the glory and the MONEY you along with your dignity would be out of baseball with no love with taxes on million dollar homes and cars to pay. yea i know they are rich so who cares about their problems. well they do so they took a little of the clear a little of the cream and bam able to stay in the game.

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 08:40:34 am »

I feel that all cheaters should be dealt with harshly.  Expelled and banished from the game. 
And that includes the time Sammy Sosa's corky bat cracked and he claimed it was his practice
bat.  Why these cheater/criminals are treated like heros is beyond me.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 08:41:20 am »
I think Bonds took steroids, HGH, and anything else coming out of BALCO.  Seriously, who doesn't think so?

As to whether he cheated, that is a different question.  It is not clear to me what exactly was against the rules when he was doing it.  And whatever the written rules were, the real rules as enforced is another story.  There is a lot of complicity here.  Everybody from the top down in baseball is implicated here.  The Giants front office had to know something but they like them moonshots and sold out ballparks.  It seems that juice was rampant among hitters and pitchers especially among marginal players.  When half the league is doing it and you think doing it or not is the difference between being in the show and AA, a lot of mugs are getting with the program.  And, like  blu said, amphetamines is the real epidemic but don't say that too loud. 
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline nightwing1982

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 03:10:35 pm »
Damn shame that he passed Robinson, Mays, Ruth, and maybe (I hope not) Arron.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 11:57:28 am »
More than half of baseball fans are rooting against Barry Bonds as he tries to break Hank Aaron's major league home run record of 755, according to an ESPN/ABC News poll.

The survey found that 52 percent of fans hope Bonds doesn't break the record, while 37 percent of fans want him to surpass Aaron's mark, set in 1974.

In addition, 73 percent of fans think Bonds used steroids, despite Bonds' repeated denials. Bonds has never tested positive for steroids.

However, race plays a unique role. Black fans in the survey are more than twice as likely to want Bonds to break Aaron's record (74 percent to 28 percent), and 37 percent of black fans think Bonds used steroids, compared to 76 percent of white fans.

Blacks are nearly twice as likely to think Bonds has been treated unfairly (46 percent to 25 percent). Why? The survey found that 41 percent of black fans think this is due to the steroids issue, 25 percent think it's because of his race, and 21 percent blame Bonds' personality.

For whites who think Bonds has been treated unfairly, 66 percent blame steroids. Virtually none blame race.

Older blacks (50 and over) are less likely to think Bonds took steroids (29 percent) than younger blacks (44 percent). There is no age difference among whites.

A majority of fans -- 58 percent -- think Bonds should be in the Hall of Fame. That's 10 points higher than a similar poll conducted last summer. Among blacks, 85 percent think Bonds belongs in Cooperstown, compared to 53 percent of whites. Also, 78 percent of blacks think Bonds should be recognized as the home run leader, compared to 53 percent of whites.

Younger white fans are 15 points more likely than older white fans to recognize Bonds as the home run leader as well as putting him in the Hall of Fame.

The ESPN/ABC News poll was conducted by telephone March 29-April 22, 2007, among a random national sample of 799 adult baseball fans, including an oversample of 203 African-Americans. The results have a 3.5-point error margin among all respondents, seven points among blacks.

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 12:36:05 pm »
The fact is now that there is a witch hunt, he can't use steriods. If he's not using steriods, than why is he playing better than ever?