Author Topic: Has Anyone Here Had GOOD Experiences with the Police?  (Read 12833 times)

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
Re: Has Anyone Here Had GOOD Experiences with the Police?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 07:02:18 pm »
My dad was a cop, so I guess my answer is no.  :P
I'm sorry to hear that, Toya.  Here's an e-hug <<>>.

Thanks Mr. Curtis. Like zulu would say, it's A.G.

I do have respect for police officers. The majority are well trained(at least I hope they are) thus should take responsiblity for their actions when they do something unjustifiable.
...Rassclaat.

Offline Cage

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 08:16:48 pm »
When I first started as a prosecutor I thought I would hate it precisely because I was mistrutful of police. Now Seven almots eight years later I find that the good apples far outweigh the bad.  I work closely with the police every day, but I am not a rubber stamp for the police.  So I guess the fact that my perception of the police has essentially competely changed is my "good" experience with the Police.
I ventured into the courtyard followed by 52 brothers bruised battered and scarred but hard.

michaelintp

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 08:49:34 pm »
Not a nice one, but a funny one. I was going 70 in a 45 mph (it was 3 in the morning!) and the cop was going to write me a ticket, but I was in Bumf*ck, Georgia and the entire system was down. Caught a break and a half there!

OK, now I can tell my daughter's story.  She's 17, pretty cute, and was working in Texas this summer as a camp counselor at a religious girl's summer camp. 

She was returning from an errand and was driving the camp car down a (seemingly) deserted road, speeding.  Suddenly from nowhere the red light of a police car flashes behind her.  She stops, the cop complete with cowboy hat gets out and walks up to the driver's-side window. 
"Hello Miss.  I'm officer Jenkins.  Do you know you were speedin'?" 
"No, officer Jenkins ..." she meekly retorts. 
"May I see your drivar's license?" 
She gives it to him.
"Ah see this says you have a California address ... are you vistin' us?"
"Officer," my daughter says with a slight Texas twang (which she learned from the camp kids) and maybe just batting her eyelashes just a little bit, "I'm sorry to say that I'm just visitin' the Great State a Texas ... and I have to go back to Los Angeles in a few weeks."
Upon hearing this reply the officer gets this great big smile on his face.
He answers her with something like, "Well miss, you be careful now, y'hear.  Drive safely and don't speed" ... tips his hat ... and lets her off the hook.

Cute story, huh?  I particularly liked her "Great State a Texas" ad lib.

michaelintp

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 09:04:09 pm »
See mike you have to understand a white man see a cop and I don't know he sees a cop. A black man, every black man see a cop even if he isn't riding dirty "straightens up" and do an inventory self check. It is amazing me a law abiding citizen, Sam a school teacher and ex cop or Reggie a hollywood director can have a cop pull up behind us and we have to adjust ourselves and focus. That my friend comes from being black in this country.
[highlight added for emphasis]

Um ... I do that too.  But then, I'm just paranoid.   ;) 

Seriously, I understand what you are saying.

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 09:36:34 pm »
Not a nice one, but a funny one. I was going 70 in a 45 mph (it was 3 in the morning!) and the cop was going to write me a ticket, but I was in Bumf*ck, Georgia and the entire system was down. Caught a break and a half there!

OK, now I can tell my daughter's story.  She's 17, pretty cute, and was working in Texas this summer as a camp counselor at a religious girl's summer camp. 

She was returning from an errand and was driving the camp car down a (seemingly) deserted road, speeding.  Suddenly from nowhere the red light of a police car flashes behind her.  She stops, the cop complete with cowboy hat gets out and walks up to the driver's-side window. 
"Hello Miss.  I'm officer Jenkins.  Do you know you were speedin'?" 
"No, officer Jenkins ..." she meekly retorts. 
"May I see your drivar's license?" 
She gives it to him.
"Ah see this says you have a California address ... are you vistin' us?"
"Officer," my daughter says with a slight Texas twang (which she learned from the camp kids) and maybe just batting her eyelashes just a little bit, "I'm sorry to say that I'm just visitin' the Great State a Texas ... and I have to go back to Los Angeles in a few weeks."
Upon hearing this reply the officer gets this great big smile on his face.
He answers her with something like, "Well miss, you be careful now, y'hear.  Drive safely and don't speed" ... tips his hat ... and lets her off the hook.

Cute story, huh?  I particularly liked her "Great State a Texas" ad lib.
-----------------------
dude none of us are amused at that. reading that story i see birds and stars and smell good flowers. compare that with the examples we are giving and you see the big diffrence. my daughter (i don't have one) could have the exact same scenario and her experience would probably be totally different for no other reason then her skin. I know you wasn't bringing this up to be funny at our expense but to share your daughter's totally valid experience but I'm just saying. :'(

michaelintp

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 09:51:39 pm »
Oh geeze ... Blue ... I didn't mean to offend anyone.  Though in thinking about her story (it really happened that way) and writing it out ... I was kinda wondering:  If my daughter were a cute black 17 year-old girl working for a few weeks in a religious girls' summer camp ... and got pulled over for speeding ... and said the same things my daughter said ... whether the (white) cop's response would have been any different?  It did seem to me, as she recounted the story, that there was some of that so-called Southern ... oh geeze whats it called .. that Southern something or other ... oh well, you know what I mean ... in the way the Texas police officer was acting.  So ... maybe yes. 

Though it is also true that those Texans do have a funny attitude about Texas ... like it is a country or something, not just a state.  I did think it was pretty clever of her to refer to "the Great State of Texas" in her answer.  That's the part of the story that I thought was cute, because that was pretty fast thinking on her feet under pressure.

But yeh ... I guess the story isn't all that relevant to anything ... other to demonstrate what might be, in some cases, disparity of treatment.  Though some of the folks above in their posts were ALSO let off the hook by a cop ... so ... maybe yes, maybe no.  Probably depends on the individual cop.  Oh shucks, I'm just gunna shut up!   :-X

P.S.  Oh yeh, I just remembered the word -- so-called "gentility" ... or on the other hand, maybe it was just gool ol' Texas hospitality.  Or maybe her comment struck a chord in his Texas pride.  Or maybe he just thought she was a cute girl.   The incident was really striking to my daughter because just a month before that she was stopped for making an illegal left-hand turn where a temporary sign had been posted and the LAPD cop who stopped her was really mean.  Hey, maybe it was just the difference between the big city and a smaller rural area?  Could be any number of things.  Ohhh sheesh, I said I was gunna shut up.   :P
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 08:00:13 am by michaelintp »

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 04:04:57 am »
Hey guys, I was police, remember?  (ducks thrown brick)...
Oh, but you're one of the good ones, Sam. ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 04:07:40 am by Wise Son »

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

michaelintp

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 07:56:45 am »
Hey guys, I was police, remember?  (ducks thrown brick)...
Oh, but you're one of the good ones, Sam. ;)

Y'know, I actually had Sam in mind when I started this thread.

Also, I was thinking ... about one's reaction when a patrol car pulls up behind you or beside you.  I can only tell you my typical reaction ... happened the other day ... Me and my 13 year old son were driving and he started to say something and I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a cop car and barked at my son, "Shuddup, shuddop, there is a cop on our tail" as I clutched the steering wheel and my son started to look backwards and I harshly whispered, "Don't look back, don't look at the cop!"  After a while the the cop stopped "following" us (if he ever was) and turned right.  I exhaled and continued driving.

But what can I say ... as I told ya about myself ... paranoid.

But really, while my reaction may be a bit extreme, I think everyone feels uncomfortable when they are being "tailed" by a patrol car.

Also I've noticed that when you are stopped by a cop and are actually nice to the cop, you often get better treatment than when you give them attitude.  I was slightly speeding on the freeway once and this Highway Patrol officer pulled me over (she was a woman and black, not that that matters).  She asked me if I knew I was speeding and of course I said "no."   She said, "What's wrong, is your speedometer broken?"  ... and I gulped because MY SPEEDOMETER ON MY DAD'S OLD '76 PICKUP TRUCK HAS BEEN BROKEN FOR YEARS.  So I said, "Noooo, I was just spacing out, I guess, listening to this really good book on tape." (smiling at the cop, eyebrows raised).  "Book on tape?" she asked.  That got me into a mini-discussiion with her how great books on tape are, how you can listen to novels etc etc ... makes the commute actually enjoyable ... that you can check them out from the public library for free ... that she should try 'em etc etc  ... and well, at the end of the conversation, which had been so pleasant, she said, "OK, have a nice day, I'll give you a warning this time but watch your speed in the future ..."  (For which I of course thanked her etc...).  So there ya go.

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 10:17:07 am »
I've had a few.  Here's one:

I was going one way, they were coming the other.  We passed and they kept on going.

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 10:51:30 am »
LOL! ;D

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 08:55:03 pm »
Experience has taught me to avoid ATL, IAH and ORD when entering the United States, so I was pretty irritated when my travel agent booked me through one of the notorious ports. Well, I entered the United States through O’Hare last night and was absolutely STUNNED that I did not get the usual shake-down. Customs and immigrations were actually polite and respectful to me.
Yippeeeeeee!!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2006, 05:22:18 am »
Experience has taught me to avoid ATL, IAH and ORD when entering the United States, so I was pretty irritated when my travel agent booked me through one of the notorious ports. Well, I entered the United States through O’Hare last night and was absolutely STUNNED that I did not get the usual shake-down. Customs and immigrations were actually polite and respectful to me.
Yippeeeeeee!!!

magic, when the FU$# are you coming to ATL?  Keep us posted...

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2006, 10:55:24 am »
Ariz. Cop Had Black Men Rap Away Ticket
Dec 2, 1:39 AM EST

The Associated Press

TEMPE, Ariz. -- City leaders have apologized after a program on Tempe's cable channel showed a white police officer telling two black men they could get out of a littering ticket by performing a rap.

Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman and Police Chief Tom Ryff apologized for the show Thursday and suspended its future production after black community leaders voiced outrage and disappointment.

"I accept responsibility for the actions of my staff and apologize to any members of our community who have been offended," Ryff said during a news conference Friday.

The segment appeared on "Tempe StreetBeat," a program produced by police in the Phoenix suburb that followed several officers on patrol. It shows Sgt. Chuck Schoville pulling over two men in August in a mall parking lot.

He first asks for a name and ID from the driver and then asks the two men if they know how much the fine is for littering.

The officer then tells the men that they can avoid getting a littering ticket "if the two of you just do a little rap about — what do you want to do a rap about? Littering? About the dangers of littering."

The two men agree, and each performs a short rap, laughing afterward. One says, "The dangers of littering, you will get a ticket. If you ain't wit' it, you better be experienced."

The second man raps, "Yo, I just got pulled over 'cause I threw my trash out the window when they rolled over. They got behind me and pulled me over."

Later, Schoville talks football with the men, one of whom agrees with his prediction that the Oakland Raiders will make it to the Super Bowl this year.

Schoville then says, "You know why you say I'm right? Because I got a gun and badge. I'm always right. That's the way it works, right?" The three laugh and the two men get in their car.

Leaders of chapters of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the National Action Network expressed outrage and demanded that the city act.Jarrett Maupin of the National Action Network, who was at Friday's news conference, said he had accepted Hallman's and Ryff's apologies and intends to make sure the police department makes good on a proposal for an African American advisory board and increased diversity training.

"It's important for police officers to realize that black people do not speak hip hop," Maupin said. "We're not all rappers and thugs and gangbangers. We speak the English language and we're entitled to the same amount of respect."

Ryff said the department is investigating how the video got on the air, who watched it and who edited it. He wouldn't discuss whether there would be any punishment for those involved.

The chief said that he hadn't been able to contact Schoville, a 25-year veteran of the Tempe force, because the officer is on vacation. A message was left with the department seeking comment from the sergeant.

Because the men in the video were not cited, Tempe police had no record of their

------------------------
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 10:58:15 am by bluezulu »

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2006, 01:18:04 pm »

The Associated Press

TEMPE, Ariz. -- City leaders have apologized after a program on Tempe's cable channel showed a white police officer telling two black men they could get out of a littering ticket by performing a rap.

Oh great.  We're back in 1962 all over again  >:(

If All You Do Is What You've Done, Then All You'll Get Is What You've Got.

michaelintp

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2006, 10:03:09 pm »
The Associated Press
Oh great.  We're back in 1962 all over again  >:(

Except in 1962 the cop would have demanded they tap dance to get outta the ticket.  How incredibly stupid.   :P