Author Topic: Potential Abuse of Power (Online Censorship)  (Read 580 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Abuse of Power (Online Censorship)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:27:08 am »
Absolutely. You KNOW the freedom of the internet drives the government crazy.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:42:48 am »
Here's an online petition from Credo Action. I signed it.

Stop internet censorship!

CREDO is joining hundreds of organizations in a one-day strike against internet censorship. We're doing this because the Senate is poised to vote on a bill that would end the internet as we know it.

If it passes, the "Protect IP Act" (and its companion bill in the House, "SOPA") could put people in jail for uploading a video to YouTube and would severely limit our right to free speech.

This bill has been rushed through Congress because big corporate interests like Comcast, Pfizer, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce have spent millions of dollars lobbying for this censoring legislation.1

Tell your senators to protect our free and open internet and oppose the Protect IP Act.

This legislation gives corporations and the government the ability to determine what information you can consume on the internet -- a dangerous practice which, when committed by the Chinese and Iranian governments, is denounced by the American people and almost all of our elected representatives.

Internet companies including Google, Mozilla, Facebook, and Twitter, say that "the bills as drafted would expose law-abiding U.S. internet and technology companies to new uncertain liabilities, private rights of action, and technology mandates that would require monitoring of web sites."2

Tell your senators to protect our free and open internet and oppose the Protect IP Act.

Right now, only a small number of Democratic senators are standing up to corporate interests and voicing opposition to the bill. And the only way we can stop this outright attack on the free internet is to have more senators commit to vote against the legislation. No matter whether your senators are Republicans or Democrats, it is important that you urge them to take a stand for internet freedom.

We need your senators to come out in opposition to this bill and vote against internet censorship.

1."Five things to know about SOPA," The Washington Post, 11-16-2011.
2. "Mozilla Fights for the Internet's Future," Mozilla Blog, 11-15-2011.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline James72

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:47:57 pm »
Exactly.  With Corporations buying so much media, the locale news (which did not cover the Sopa Bill..hardly) and the politicians who are in league with "certain" media types, the Internet is a great source for communication.  This very forum is proof of that.

The masses would want you to think it's all about copyright infringement. It's all about the power of media.  Look how effective the Anonymous click worked against the Mexican Cartels. There is something to be said about communication and media in the hands of the "little person."

The minute I criticize "brand x" I should not be shut down.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely. These kindergarten brained politicians and corporations are the last people I want to see have that kind of power.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:50 am »
Agreed I've been a proponent on this since day one. I've placed it on my FB more than once. The old cromedomes in washington have no idea at all. Why are we continuing voiting for these old senile individuals is beyond me. "going only after the bad guys" is such a stupid idea. They have no idea nor clue whom to go after. The seriousness of this can be linked to the gent that uploaded that "unfinished screener copy" of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I remember getting this and at the end the film "after credits" scene had no audio. Note did the FBI bother to find how he received such a copy? It is happening already folks.

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/12/16/wolverine-bootlegger-arrested-by-fbi/
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline James72

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 06:02:47 pm »
The thing is, if you want to protect "creator rights" or "rights" in general. Fine. Draw up a bill and let's read it through.  The SOPA Bill as written is not that bill.  It infringes upon my right as an individual to speak and enable a politician, corporation to shut down "my voice."  That does not sound like a democracy to me.

Kudos to you and your efforts, BmoreAkuma.  I am hoping people will realize that the Internet is more than just for posting gossip, sex etc.
Communication and voice is power.  Hope people stay on this and not become complacent, because once we give up our right, it'll be hard to get it back.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 08:26:37 pm »
Megaupload is down currently and Anon attacked and hacked the DOJ & UMG. both sites are down

http://www.firstpost.com/tech/fbi-shuts-down-megaupload-com-anonymous-shut-down-fbi-188266.html.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline James72

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 09:54:55 pm »
Wow. Thanks for the update BmoreAkuma.