Author Topic: Underworld (4) Awakening Review  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Underworld (4) Awakening Review
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:08:06 pm »
Checked this film out the other day, in tandem with Red Tails. I thought it was a solid fourth installment, though I have to admit there was a feeling of pointlessness or maybe franchise fatigue. I can't say it was the film, just my reaction to it. I had been really hype about seeing this film. I am a big fan of the franchise and though I felt the movie was good, with an appropriate mix of action and violence that just zipped along, I don't think they exploited the human v. Lycans/Vampire angle enough.

The movie did leave it open for a sequel and it will probably earn enough to get one. Kate Beckinsale certainly hasn't lost any steps. Michael Ealey was okay as a cop who becomes Selene's unwitting partner, though he wasn't given much to do, and one brief scene that establishes his motivation. Ealey and a female Asian doctor were the only people of color that I recall in the film.

I was wondering how they could top the hybrid Markus from Underworld 2, and the Super Lycan (that's in the trailers, so it's not a spoiler) does a pretty good job as a replacement. At first I wasn't feeling the Lycan design (liked their look best in the first film), but when the Super Lycan appeared, I was pleased.

If you are an Underworld fan you're going to watch this film. If you like Resident Evil, you will probably like this film-though I think Underworld movies are better than Resident Evil movies. And if you like non-mopey vampires and werewolves, I recommend this film as well.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:10:12 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Underworld (4) Awakening Review
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:14:31 am »
I too liked the prior Underworld films. So did my daughter-in-law. Can't say either of us liked this one. It plays more like a video game than a film. Special effects were OK but kind of cartoony. Thin plot, though there was one interesting major plot twist. Still, a lot unexplained. I don't know if there will be a sequel, as I don't think it did all that well.

I still like Kate in black leather, though.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:06:13 am by michaelintp »
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 02:29:17 pm »
.... was Kevin Grievoux involved in this one? (writer, producer, etc.?)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:24:10 am »
I too liked the prior Underworld films. So did my daughter-in-law. Can't say either of us liked this one. It plays more like a video game than a film. Special effects were OK but kind of cartoony. Thin plot, though there was one interesting major plot twist. Still, a lot unexplained. I don't know if there will be a sequel, as I don't think it did all that well.

I only saw the first 2 Underworld movies.

I really only liked the first one.

I'm trying to think of a reason to see this movie other than Kate marching around black leather.

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 08:29:51 am »

I'm trying to think of a reason to see this movie other than Kate marching around black leather.

Not at the price of movies these days. In L.A. the only screening I could go to that would fit my schedule was in IMAX 3D. Base weekend price $13.50 plus $6.00 IMAX 3D charge. Even with a Costco $8.00 discount ticket, the cost was still $14.00.  And the 3D sucked. Since it was not filmed in 3D, the computer simulation looks more like 2D on top of 2D.  :P
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:23:18 am »

To my knowledge, Grevioux wasn't involved.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:26:41 am »

Do you need another reason than that?

To be honest, if you didn't like the second one, Awakening continues to the story from there.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:06 pm »

To my knowledge, Grevioux wasn't involved.
I see.  hopefully there was still a "based on characters created by..." credit, which should still see him some compensation.. I believe Mr. Reggie can vouch for this with the house party sequels..  ;)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 01:18:29 pm »
I want to say I thought there was a creator credit given to Grevioux, but I'm not 100% on that.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 10:22:35 pm »
Speaking of Underworld why not relaunch the Blade franchise? It ushered in the current advent of superhero movie.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 10:44:10 am »
^
I definitely agree with you. With this vampire craze going on, it seems almost criminal not to resurrect Marvel's, and I would argue, all of comics's greatest vampire hunter. To some extent, Marvel has done that with Blade's role in last year's Curse of the Mutants X-Men vampire storyline, though he was misused and shunted to the side. He also played a big part in the Blade v. Avengers storyline, for the Ultimate comics. I thought he was handled better in this story, but the idea of vampire Hulk, Daredevil (not Matt Murdock), and some random vampire dude in old Iron Man armor, was just stupid, and Blade had to share time with the Avengers. And there is a Blade anime series currently running on G4 (though I fear that they have replaced the series midway with the X-Men series.). So there have been some attempts to utilize Blade, but in typical Marvel fashion they fumbled the ball and I think weakened the character's promise more than maintained or built up interest in another round of Blade movies or comics.

Offline James72

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 07:07:08 pm »
Late to this, and Blade does deserve it's props!

It came before The Matrix and all other "comic-book" inspired movies.  Blade was the first movie of the modern set that really upped the stakes.

Good post Princesa.