Author Topic: PREACHER ON HBO  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
PREACHER ON HBO
« on: December 01, 2006, 03:26:44 am »
HBO hears word, brings 'Preacher' to small screenBy Borys Kit.

Nov 29, 2006

HBO has seen the light and is bringing "Preacher" to the small screen.

The pay cable network is developing a one-hour series based on the popular 1990s Vertigo comics series. Mark Steven Johnson, the writer-director behind comic adaptations "Daredevil" and the upcoming "Ghost Rider," is writing the pilot, while Howard Deutch is attached to direct. Johnson and Deutch will executive produce along with Michael De Luca, George Agusto, Chris Bender and JC Spink.

"Preacher," which ran from 1995-2000, told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

The series was created by Irish-born writer Garth Ennis and British artist Steve Dillon, who will serve as co-executive producers. Ken F. Levin, who reps the duo, also will serve as co-exec producer.

The series -- which developed a rabid fan base -- was known for tackling religious and political issues, its dark and violent sense of humor and its observations of American culture. It also was one of the series that helped define Vertigo, the adult-oriented line of comics from DC Comics.

There have been several attempts to bring the comic to the screen, whether big or small, but nothing stuck. A movie version, to have been produced by Kevin Smith's View Askew, among others, got to the casting stage, with James Marsden attached for the title role and a reported budget of $25 million.

The project reunites Johnson with Deutch; Johnson wrote "Grumpier Old Men," which Deutch directed. Deutch's directing credits include TV's "Gleason," the pilot for "Melrose Place" and the 1986 film "Pretty in Pink." He is repped by ICM.

Johnson is repped by CAA.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: PREACHER ON HBO
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 04:27:31 am »
This will either be one of the best TV series ever, or a collosal disappointment. There's a pretty good discussion going on on another of my boards, where ther've highlighted the make-or-breaks.
Casting - Cassidy needs to be charismatic and friendly, but scary - best suggestion so far is Robert Carlyle. Jesse is a young guy (17 to 24), and needs to played just right so that he's not just some good ol' boy pastiche. The Saint of Killers could be the hugely important.
Directing - how do you depict The Word?

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 05:56:13 am »
This will either be one of the best TV series ever, or a collosal disappointment.

exactly.

It could kick major ass or it could be a cheap joke...lets hope foer the former.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 07:40:04 am »
This will either be one of the best TV series ever, or a collosal disappointment.

exactly.

It could kick major ass or it could be a cheap joke...lets hope foer the former.
That's right.  I'm excited and very nervous.  The rational side of me wonders how they could possibly do this right.  I mean this is fundamentally a blasphemous piece of work with plenty of sadistic bastards and raunchy moments.  Sounds like great TV, right?  At least it's at HBO where they maybe stand a chance.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 08:31:42 am »
I read a funny response of newsarama about this.  Something along the lines of "Following HBO's recent model, it will have 2 fantastic critically accaimed seasons, and then be swiftly canceled."

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 08:06:39 pm »
Heaven help us.  ;D
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 09:24:36 am »

exactly.

That's right.  I'm excited and very nervous.  The rational side of me wonders how they could possibly do this right.  I mean this is fundamentally a blasphemous piece of work with plenty of sadistic bastards and raunchy moments.  Sounds like great TV, right?  At least it's at HBO where they maybe stand a chance.

word.  HBO better not f*ck this sh*t up. For real...

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 09:03:40 pm »
I remember reading somewhere that Samuel L Jackson was to play The Saint of Killers, but that was when Preacher was pressed to go on the big screen. Hmmmm? The Saint looks more like David Carradine or Clint Eastwood. At any rate, I'm glad that this project got the green light.