Author Topic: Ki Khanga - A Sword and Soul RPG  (Read 18056 times)

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
Ki Khanga - A Sword and Soul RPG
« on: March 05, 2012, 07:01:56 am »
Hey y'all,
I've been kind of holding this one back, at least on this thread. I'm working with a team of writers and artists on a Sword and Soul RPG titled Ki-Khanga. I know there have been some African based supplements for RPGs, but this will be the first African based RPG that I know of. We're playing our first adventure in April at a local black owned comic book store, and we hope to have a few games going at Onyx Con later. Two of our artists are working on our logo and we are developing an anthology to supplement the game. We also have a consultant, a brother who wrote and edited games for White Wolf. I feel very good about this project. More details soon.
"Happiness is dancing when the drumming is good."

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
Re: Ki Khanga - A Sword and Soul RPG
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:59:35 am »
So the logo is almost done. Balogun and I have started short stories for an anthology supplement for the game, one story for each region. Our first game play will be at The Dragon's Horde in Stone Mountain, GA (http://www.thedragonshorde.com/), a black owned comic book shop, on April 11th. We'll tape it and post it on Youtube. We have another gameplay session tentatively set up for June and we hope to play at Onyx Con in August. Images coming soon. Here's a link to our first attempt at a map of Ki Khanga: (http://wagadu.ning.com/group/sword-and-soul-rpg/forum/topics/our-world)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:15:02 am »
This...  should be interesting.   

Good luck, The Griot!

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:33:54 am »
Our Logo:

First gameplay will be April 11, 2012 at the Dragon's Horde (http://www.thedragonshorde.com/), Stone Mountain, GA, from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Our Griot (Gamemaster) will be Balogun Ojetade.

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:13:44 am »
What if you threw a party but nobody came? More specifically, they came but forgot it was a party? That was our experience with the first Ki Khanga game play. All the player showed up with the same excuse, 'that was tonight?' But then they exposed our naivety by following with, 'I forgot my character. I can still play, though. I'll use one of your characters.' Me, an RPG novice, looked at Balogun with my 'what the hell is he talking about' look. Balogun looked at me with his 'd'oh!' expression prior to smacking his forehead. First lesson; always have pre-built characters.

The evening was not a waste, far from it. Those who had built their characters but not brought them went on to play other games, but those who hadn't and those who weren't aware of the game sat down with us and built characters on the spot. During that time we shared information and learned what was good, okay and questionable about our game. We also learned something that filled a glaring hole in our character building process. Apparently one of the goals of gamers is to 'break' the game. They constantly try to find ways to bend the rules to increase character strength beyond the game's restrictions.

Initial responses were positive. The gamers were pleased with the character building process and impressed by Balogun's card play system. We came away with a better character building process and guaranteed players for two week from now. This time we'll have our own characters just in case. I can't wait to see what game play reveals.

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 05:59:32 am »
We played Ki Khanga yesterday! Once again the majority of our players let us down, preferring to play their D&D campaigns to trying something new. I was particularly disappointed by the young brothers that decided not to play, but disappointment is part of the process. You take what you get and move on.

This was my first time playing an RPG and I enjoyed it. Balogun is a great Griot (Game Master) and the players made it fun as they acted out their characters. I may even write a story about mine! We discussed the game afterwards; Balogun discovered a few things he wanted to tweak before our next play in a couple of weeks. The next game should have more participation. The game players are my son and a few of his friends.

In the meantime we're building materials. Eugene is providing the maps and we being character illustrations in two weeks. Balogun and I are working on the story/anthology. so far we have six stories. If all goes well we should be ready to roll out by year's end.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 03:48:41 am »
coolness. I wish something like this was going on near me..  what kind of dice do you use?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 01:03:39 pm »
No dice, cards.

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 03:42:28 pm »
So we're playing Ki Khanga this weekend, Saturday July 14th at 6:00 pm at Treefort in Fayetteville GA. We should have at least 4 players. Wish us luck!

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 06:04:10 pm »
We played! We ended up with six players, so I observed and took notes. For details we had three black males, two white males and one white female, for y'all demographic folks. Balogun Ojetade did an excellent job as Griot (Gamemaster) and everyone enjoyed the game very much. The card system he devised went over well. They players commented that the system gave them more freedom and more control, which they enjoyed. We didn't get a chance to finish the adventure, but everyone is looking forward to next play. We have some details to work on, but all in all I'm very confident we're heading in the right direction. Stay tuned!

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 04:35:12 pm »
Ki Khanga. Rough dimensions, about 3/4 the size of Africa.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 08:46:54 am »
Congrats Griot!
 Dude, I don't know how I missed this thread. I live in Sandy Springs and I would've been there. Will there be one more event before OnyxCon?
Just wondering.
  I wish you all continued success.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 05:44:39 am »
Thanks, bruh. We won't play before Onyx Con. I'm not attending Onyx Con this year: I had hoped we could play a game there but the timing wasn't right. I'll post a shout out here when we'll play again. I'm almost done with the country maps and will begin with the basic city and village maps soon afterwards. In the process of doing the maps we have added a lot more stuff to the background mythology which has resulted in a richer, more unique game. I'm also close commissioning James Eugene (http://www.jameseugene.net/) to develop character images as well as images for a custom card deck. If all goes well we'll have prototypes to share by year's end.

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 05:25:15 am »
I had a computer malfunction last month which put Ki Khanga on hold. But I'm back up and running now. Since my last post I completed the country maps and I'm now working on street maps and such for cities and villages. Ki Khanga lives; expect an anthology of Ki Khanga based stories 2013 (if the Mayans are wrong.  ;D )

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 12:44:32 pm »
Alrighty then! Just put out the call for beta testers for Ki Khanga on Wagadu. The game is not pretty but playable, so we want to get down and dirty feedback before we dress it up and place it on the podium. We got five takers so far. Five more and it's a wrap. I plan to send games out by the 1st of next year. This should be fun. ;)