Author Topic: NEW TONI MORRISON NOVEL "HOME"  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
NEW TONI MORRISON NOVEL "HOME"
« on: May 20, 2012, 07:03:01 am »
NEW YORK TIMES:

HORSE RACE: Toni Morrison’s novel “Home” enters the hardcover fiction list at No. 9. The book takes place in the 1950s, which is around the time that Morrison (or Chloe Wofford, as she was still known) started thinking seriously about race relations in this country, according to a recent profile in the British newspaper The Guardian. In the late ’40s, as a freshman at Howard University in segregated Washington, D.C., Morrison saw news footage of white mothers in the South trying to overturn a school bus with black children inside. “I didn’t know if I could turn over a bus full of little white kids,” Morrison said. “I didn’t know if I could feel that . . . fury. And I tried very hard to. This is what I did: I said suppose . . . horses began to speak. And began to demand their rights. Now, I’ve ridden horses. They’re very good workers. They’re very good racehorses. Suppose they just . . . want more. Suppose they want to go to school! Suppose they want to sit next to me in the theater. I began to feel this sense of — ‘I like you, but . . . ’; ‘You’re good, but. . . . ’ Suppose they want to sleep with my children?!” Morrison laughed. “I had to go outside the species! But it worked, I could feel it. You know; don’t sit next to me.”