Author Topic: The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson  (Read 1500 times)

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
« on: March 21, 2012, 09:40:04 am »
This book has me captivated. My father suggested that I read it and it was a great suggestion. Almost every African American was or is affected by the Great Migration; I have uncles and aunts scattered throughout the US who left home during this time for some of the same reasons. Most of all this book reminds us of how terrible condition in this country used to be for us, not only in the South, but everywhere. It makes you appreciate what our mothers, fathers, grandmothers and grandfathers endured, and it shows us the foundation on which we must continue to build. A must read for anyone interested in African American history, but for me this is not history. It's the story of my family.
"Happiness is dancing when the drumming is good."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 03:59:59 pm »
This book has me captivated. My father suggested that I read it and it was a great suggestion. Almost every African American was or is affected by the Great Migration; I have uncles and aunts scattered throughout the US who left home during this time for some of the same reasons. Most of all this book reminds us of how terrible condition in this country used to be for us, not only in the South, but everywhere. It makes you appreciate what our mothers, fathers, grandmothers and grandfathers endured, and it shows us the foundation on which we must continue to build. A must read for anyone interested in African American history, but for me this is not history. It's the story of my family.
This book is beloved.

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
Re: The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:01:20 am »
I think it should be a must read for every American and anyone interested in our country's history.
"Happiness is dancing when the drumming is good."