Author Topic: Hard Choices: Lauryn Hill v Mary J Blige  (Read 3348 times)

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Hard Choices: Lauryn Hill v Mary J Blige
« on: December 01, 2006, 08:02:19 am »
Both have sold a ton of records during the hip hop era....both are respected within the hip hop world...both have been around for more than 10 years....my vote goes to L Boogie 'cause she is the best at what she does... her vocals are constantly at a higher level (better live shows), she is versatile with her ability to sing and rap without breaking a sweat and she can write and produce her own songs with great skill.  Now if she can get over her personal drama and return to being a true artist it would be all good.

BTW, the fact that she is fine as wine has nothing to do with my vote....LOL

L Boogie all the way!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 08:05:52 am by stanleyballard »

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
Re: Hard Choices: Lauren Hill v Mary J Blige
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 08:04:43 am »
Lauren Hill in a heartbeat...
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Online Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Choices: Lauryn Hill v Mary J Blige
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 08:59:30 am »
I'm going the other way.  I love The Fugees and The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.  If she would get back to work, I'd take her over just about anybody out there.  Still, 2-3 great albums just doesn't stand up to Mary J.'s body of work in my view. 
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 08:37:45 pm »
Mary only has one album that is anywhere near the level of L Boogie and it took her years to do her most recent work where she is vocally there.  Her voice has fallen flat consistently even in the studio...she often has sang off key even in a recording studio and 70% of her material has been a remake of someone else's song...check it out even back to her very first album...she is the queen of remakes...not soul. 

L Boogie beats her hands down even with only 3+ albums out and a string of solid concert performances. She has more diverse talent and a better voice!  She does not need anyone to produce her songs...she does it herself...seemlessly.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 09:07:11 pm »

L Boogie beats her hands down even with only 3+ albums out and a string of solid concert performances. She has more diverse talent and a better voice!  She does not need anyone to produce her songs...she does it herself...seamlessly.

I agree with Stan.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Jenn

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 11:22:42 pm »
NO choice. Lauryn is a fraud who cracked under pressure. Mary's been in the game for as long as I can remember.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 11:41:12 am »
Untrue...would a fraud be a mother to her children and put them before her career?  L Boogie has devoted time to getting her priorities in order and didn't have to lose herself in drugs to do it....she may not be perfect but she has been a true artist willing to take a chance and sometimes you don't end up getting all the props.  Mary J plays things much closer to the chest and has cracked (literally)....her sister saved her from drug abuse and her husband also helped to ground her more.

L Boogie also has done some acting before joining The Fugees...another diverse effort.

Online Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 05:42:19 pm »
Yeah, I was just grooving to that new L. Boogie joint...  ::)
(Forgot the smiley)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 08:45:01 am by Curtis Metcalf »

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 06:07:41 pm »
Lauryn Hill.
...Rassclaat.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 04:15:53 am »
Lauryn.
'Why you imitatin' Al Capone?/I be Nina Simone/An' defecatin' on your microphone.'

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 05:12:31 am »
Lauryn.
'Why you imitatin' Al Capone?/I be Nina Simone/An' defecatin' on your microphone.'

She is one classy lady.
...Rassclaat.

Online Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 08:48:02 am »
Both have sold a ton of records during the hip hop era....both are respected within the hip hop world...both have been around for more than 10 years....my vote goes to L Boogie 'cause she is the best at what she does... her vocals are constantly at a higher level (better live shows), she is versatile with her ability to sing and rap without breaking a sweat and she can write and produce her own songs with great skill.  Now if she can get over her personal drama and return to being a true artist it would be all good.

BTW, the fact that she is fine as wine has nothing to do with my vote....LOL

L Boogie all the way!
Mary only has one album that is anywhere near the level of L Boogie and it took her years to do her most recent work where she is vocally there.  Her voice has fallen flat consistently even in the studio...she often has sang off key even in a recording studio and 70% of her material has been a remake of someone else's song...check it out even back to her very first album...she is the queen of remakes...not soul. 

L Boogie beats her hands down even with only 3+ albums out and a string of solid concert performances. She has more diverse talent and a better voice!  She does not need anyone to produce her songs...she does it herself...seemlessly.
Untrue...would a fraud be a mother to her children and put them before her career?  L Boogie has devoted time to getting her priorities in order and didn't have to lose herself in drugs to do it....she may not be perfect but she has been a true artist willing to take a chance and sometimes you don't end up getting all the props.  Mary J plays things much closer to the chest and has cracked (literally)....her sister saved her from drug abuse and her husband also helped to ground her more.

L Boogie also has done some acting before joining The Fugees...another diverse effort.
So Stanley, do you plan to argue with everybody who answers Mary J to your Hard Choice?  Might tend to skew the results.  ;)

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 01:49:46 pm »
I hope not Stan but for real Lauren Hill is a Nut Job! The long awaited fugees reunion was sidetracked due to Lauren being a lunchbox! What about that ridiculous unplugged album a few years ago? didn't that go concrete? Don't get me wrong I like Lauren I bought the first album but it seems like she began to become distracted/diconnected after the first album garnered critical acclaim. She is too young in the music/movie business to be a diva...is she talented? No Question! is she a bag of Drama? it appears so

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 03:50:25 am »
This is a hard one, since I just listened to MJB's "Im goin down".

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 08:43:12 am »
Toya, have you ever heard Nina Simone's Microfone Defication?  Just wondering.  And Nina Simone has a voice only a mother could love, but darnit if she doesn't make it work for her.

anyway, at this point their careers, neither women can sing.  MJB can't sing live. nuff said.  And ... Miss Hill, her pain ate away at her voice...so now she can't sing live either.... it hurts to hear her sing now.

but if we are goin' ol' skool, then I'm choosin' Lauryn 'cuz i've been in luv with her since Fugee-la: Tranzlator crew.
nuff said!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!