Author Topic: Hard Choices: Lauryn Hill v Mary J Blige  (Read 3353 times)

Offline JAXN

• View Profile
Re: Hard Choices: Lauryn Hill v Mary J Blige
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 09:51:06 am »
in what aspect are you comparing them? while Lauryn is a better singer, producer, writer and better looking, she really can't compare with Mary's body of work..did someone say that Mary only has 1 album that's about something? that's kind of a ridiculous statement when Mary has let out classic(s) plural..
What's the 411?
Mary's Joint
Share My World
Mary J Blige with the Lauryn Hill produced song
Family Affair

She's only had 1 maybe 2 mediocre cds and she can't sing....L's first cd was a classic, but that's about it..her second cd wasn't anywhere close to being classic and then she went nuts and disappeared..or whatever happened to her.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 01:33:03 pm »
Lauryn is going on tour with Nas later this summer.  I may try and check it out.  But Lauryn has a reputation for being, well, really late, plus there's the "is she going to sing, or talk half the time?" knock...
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 02:12:22 pm »
Lauryn at her peak was a brilliant artist who could have had it all.  But she thew it all away.  Tragic.  Even if she had the output of D'Angelo, this would be more of a fair fight.  D's product flow is spare, but boy when he drops something it's strong! And he's got music released in this century.

Meanwhile, Mary consistently beats the odds and has assembled a great body of work.  My Mary playlist is quite long. 

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 01:07:51 pm »
Is Strength of a Woman worth picking up?  What are the top 3 songs?

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 10:04:53 am »
Lauryn at her peak was a brilliant artist who could have had it all.  But she thew it all away.  Tragic.  Even if she had the output of D'Angelo, this would be more of a fair fight.  D's product flow is spare, but boy when he drops something it's strong! And he's got music released in this century.

Meanwhile, Mary consistently beats the odds and has assembled a great body of work.  My Mary playlist is quite long.

What did Lauryn throw away exactly?

She chose Motherhood over her career and principle over commerce.

You really think Lauryn Hill couldn't have put out a series of half-baked albums playing on her gravitas and cashed in?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 06:17:45 am »
I'd like to see from Mary and Lauryn:

A series of covers albums (like rod Stewart and Barry Manilow have done), they can be themed- Pop, Rock and R&B of the 60s, 70s 80s, 90s-- I'm especially intrigued to see what could be done with an 80s-themed set.

A gospel album
A jazz standards album
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:52:14 am by Hypestyle »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 11:51:48 am »
Lauryn is going on tour with Nas later this summer.  I may try and check it out.  But Lauryn has a reputation for being, well, really late, plus there's the "is she going to sing, or talk half the time?" knock...

She's notorious for showing up super hella hella late...and then giving a so so performance.
Hopefully with her opening for Nas, she won't do that anymore.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 05:23:08 pm »
Mary J.

Sure... Lauryn has her beat hands-down in talent and range, but I'm not digging or rewarding her chronic lateness regardless of the excuses. If you can't or won't do your job, get into another line of work.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 01:57:56 pm »

What did Lauryn throw away exactly?

She chose Motherhood over her career and principle over commerce.

You really think Lauryn Hill couldn't have put out a series of half-baked albums playing on her gravitas and cashed in?
So you can't be a mother and a professional?  You can't be a mother and a great artist?