Author Topic: DJANGO UNCHAINED  (Read 69822 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: DJANGO UNCHAINED
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2012, 12:27:13 pm »
Django Unchained was mostly what a white person thinks a Black person's response to slavery would be.

There's a lot of truth to this...

EDIT:   Had to trim the quote down to one sentence.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:22:11 pm by Battle »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2012, 12:57:02 pm »
There were plenty of slave revolts.  Not only the famous ones by Nat Turner and Denmark Vesey and the successful one by Toussaint L'Ouverture, but the ones that were covered up by slave owners to make sure that more slaves didn't get inspired. 

Fighting back against oppression is the right thing to do. 

Yes, black folks have really internalized Christian forgiveness.  We can debate how healthy that is.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2012, 01:16:02 pm »
Fighting back against oppression is always the right thing to do, but it matters how you fight. You can't allow yourself to become like what you're fighting against and surrender the moral high ground.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2012, 01:26:38 pm »
Fighting back against oppression is always the right thing to do, but it matters how you fight. You can't allow yourself to become like what you're fighting against and surrender the moral high ground.
Hurting innocent people is becoming what you're fighting against.  Putting down murderers, brutal thugs that will hunt you down and kill you if you let them live is just self defense and making the world a better place.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2012, 01:46:46 pm »
Slave resistance is definitely the story that doesn't get told. From the armed ones to the more "passive" ones like the house slaves who put ground up glass in their master's food. Not all slaves just sat around accepting their lot.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2012, 01:49:02 pm »
I'd imagine that a lot of those slavers were ancient versions of the monsters we see on the network news today.

That slavery sh!t was  a   very dirty business and needed even dirtier people to run it.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2012, 01:57:36 pm »
Hurting innocent people is becoming what you're fighting against.  Putting down murderers, brutal thugs that will hunt you down and kill you if you let them live is just self defense and making the world a better place.

True, so why did DiCaprio's sister have to die in such a solitary and violent manner? She was hardly innocent, but she wasn't a tracker either.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2012, 02:04:47 pm »
Funny you mention her.  Her death, consistently, gets the biggest laugh from ALL audiences. 

First of all, if anyone was left alive, they would aid the Regulators in tracking them down.  They all had to go. 

Second of all, she aided and abetted.  She was complicit in evil.  You're the first person I've heard defend her life.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2012, 02:24:41 pm »
It was hilarious, but it was overkill. It's not like I'm shedding any tears, I just thought it was unnecessary. It would be different if there was a character moment that established her as evil in her own right because of her complicity (or even due to the implied incestuous relationship with her brother) but if there was one, I missed it.

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2012, 03:09:48 pm »
Okay with the super sized criticism XXX. It was a good movie from what I hear. I am wanting to see it more now then ever. Tomorrow hopefully. Yes, this and that coulda shoulda been done but what the Hell? We have a major "African American Story" in front of the rest of the movies. Does this tell us something about consumerism or what? People have money to see movies. They may be struggling elsewhere but for 2 and some change hours they can forget their troubles. Hell even fantasize about the $#!! they could do to the ones doing them wrong. Just sayin' :D Peace Mr. XXX Love Ms. Sherelle D ;D

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2012, 03:22:05 pm »
If you think that's super-sized you don't know me very well. lol

That's a small quibble about a great movie.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2012, 03:26:08 pm »
This is interesting.

I just got finished reading a comparison of Django and
the Fred Williamson Blaxploitaton Westerns like Boss N*gger.

I'm not going to get into the specifics of the comparison, but now I'm
wondering if an action dude had been cast as Django would the reactions here change..

Cause if somebody enslaves Fred Williamson in a movie, everybody is getting killed by him at the end.

Tarantino's last 3 movies ( if you count the 2 parts of Kill Bill as 2 separate films) have been revenge flicks.

I'm kinda shocked at the idea that some thought Django was gonna be anything else.

If I'm not mistaken the original Django was a revenge flick.

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2012, 03:39:07 pm »
XXX I am just pulling your leg. I know you weren't being super critical.  I just want to hear all positive stuff because I am really proud of our HEF founder.  ;D

Offline Jihad the Roughneck

• Thomas Sankara was the greatest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2012, 04:33:23 pm »
Went to see this last night and I was pleasantly surprised.  I often ask myself can a white director or writer create an African American character that rings true to me and gives me inspiration? I realized I was asking the wrong question entirely.  If you do your research and hire talented African Americans like Reggie, Jamie, and Sam, it can be done correctly and respectfully.  I don't think this film could have been made with Tarantino and the Weinsteins.  As a moviegoer, I have seldom seen a black  male hero killing whites.  It's a taboo, I only think Blade got the chance and that was vampires.  In this, the slavers were clearly villains like the Nazi's or terrorists and deserved retribution.  Taboo broken.  Django is not only the fastest gun in the south but he also uses his intellect and cunning to turn the tide in his favor.  He could read, and his wife could speak German.  Maybe now, since Tarantino had the balls, we can get some more films and more work for black Hollywood. Django had that black love thing I'm glad they didn't have him get with the the white lady in the big house and stay with his wife!  Magnificent and unprecedented. Phrenology, Mandingo fighting, Django is gun slinging brer rabbit.     
I've got bass tone, I use cologne
and I rock the funky rhymes on the microphone
RUNDMC perfection

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2012, 06:39:38 pm »
It seems that the conversation that Spike Lee and Jamie Foxx had about DJANGO may have been too optimistic on Foxx's part. I've just seen Lee's criticism of the film and ostensibly Tarantino on MSNBC.

Lee is a Brooklynite.

I'm a Brooklynite.

Is there a link? 8)