Author Topic: DJANGO UNCHAINED  (Read 66179 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: DJANGO UNCHAINED
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2013, 08:55:04 am »
African Americans Turn Out in Force for Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'

4:41 PM PST 1/2/2013 by Pamela McClintock

Debate over multiple uses of the N-word in "Django" doesn't appear to be dampening interest in the film.

Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained -- starring Jamie Foxx as a slave in the pre-Civil War South -- is doing strong business among African-American moviegoers.

But much as Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds sanctified violence against Nazis, Django targets another bad guy nobody can sympathize with -- a slave owner. When Foxx's character is freed by a bounty hunter, played by Christoph Waltz, the duo go after Leonardo DiCaprio's character, the ruthless master of a plantation.

Opening on Christmas Day, 42 percent of Django's initial audience was black, according to exit polling data. TWC estimates that the percentage now is holding steady at about 30 percent, while a look at the top-performing theaters for Django further confirms that it has crossed over, playing to both white and black moviegoers.

"Django is playing well to African-Americans and to audiences across the board. You can't have these kind of numbers otherwise. It's getting everybody," TWC president of distribution Erik Lomis said.

Django has grossed $77.8 million so far in North America and has a strong shot at becoming Tarantino's most successful film at the domestic box office, eclipsing the $120 million earned by Inglourious Basterds in 2009. Sony is TWC's partner on Django and will handle the movie internationally.

Of Django's top 10-grossing theaters, three cater heavily to African-Americans: The Cinemark Egyptian 24 in Baltimore, the AMC Hoffman Center in Alexandria, Va., and the AMC Southlake 24 in Atlanta. And another three draw a mixed audience, including the AMC Empire 25 in New York City and the Regal Atlantic Stadium 16 in Atlanta.

Other top 10 theaters for Django include AMC Regal Union Square in New York City and the ArcLight in Sherman Oaks. While these locations nearly always make the list of top-grossing theaters for any given film, the Egyptian and Hoffman Center don't as a rule pop up unless a movie crosses over, such as The Blind Side.

For example, none of the top 10 theaters for Django's fellow holiday releases The Hobbit: An Unepexpected Journey or Les Miserables are in heavily black communities.

There's no racial breakdown for the recent Denzel Washington drama Flight, though the Egyptian was the only black theater making the top 10 list.

Conversely, Foxx's Ray, released in 2004, played to a predominately black audience.

When testing Django, TWC held two simultaneous screenings in New York. One audience was made up of African-Americans, while the other was a mixed audience (about 15 percent was African-American). The film received top, identical scores from the two audiences.

Just before Christmas, Spike Lee publicly chastised Tarantino for being "disrespectful" of black poeple and called for a boycott of Django.

Tarantino has maintained that he won't be influenced by what he calls social criticism. "I believe in what I'm doing wholeheartedly and passionately. It's my job to ignore that," he said in a December interview with THR.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2013, 10:06:20 am »
Of Django's top 10-grossing theaters, three cater heavily to African-Americans: The Cinemark Egyptian 24 in Baltimore,
Used to be the only theater the wife and I would go to a few years back, until the "ghetto" and "white trash" element started showing up. For some strange reason, I like to hear the movie I'm watching. Really nice layout, though.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2013, 05:16:17 pm »
The "excessive usage" That's bullsh*t. Jeez I hate to go there but this "PC" thing that many have a tendency to whine about fits the bill here.

I recommend you check out the film first before you go after the all too convenient "PC police".  I think that political correctness has become a dreaded boogeyman these days to excuse inappropriate or disrespectful comments and words.

I saw the film twice and I did think Tarantino could've used more restraint in the words usage, though I still enjoyed the movie. You don't have to use a word a million times to get the point across. If nothing else, change up the vocabulary a little.

As for the Nina Simone movie, some criticism of that has already begun and it will likely intensify the closer that film comes to being released.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2013, 12:37:38 am »

I recommend you check out the film first before you go after the all too convenient "PC police".  I think that political correctness has become a dreaded boogeyman these days to excuse inappropriate or disrespectful comments and words.

I saw the film twice and I did think Tarantino could've used more restraint in the words usage, though I still enjoyed the movie. You don't have to use a word a million times to get the point across. If nothing else, change up the vocabulary a little.

As for the Nina Simone movie, some criticism of that has already begun and it will likely intensify the closer that film comes to being released.
I'll see the movie but I wont have those expectations of "usage" of a certain word. I'll look at the movie out of enjoyment. Honestly I would have prefer the movie to go hard like that since it is dealing with a very serious and ugly past. I'm sorry but it wasnt pretty.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

APEXABYSS

« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2013, 03:14:30 am »
Hmm... I wonder are some action figures on the way?  That would be cool..  ake sure to include a couple special weapons for each.  Django can have a whip, a pistol and rifle.

...heard you loud & clear, bredren... man, fantastic...

cool

APEXABYSS

« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2013, 04:49:59 am »
DC, huh.... interesting... jim lee.... stfu....

i didn't see the n-word in the comic... wow, that would be fun to see in print....

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2013, 04:55:44 am »

I'll see the movie but I wont have those expectations of "usage" of a certain word. I'll look at the movie out of enjoyment. Honestly I would have prefer the movie to go hard like that since it is dealing with a very serious and ugly past. I'm sorry but it wasnt pretty.

No one film,or really any number of films can capture the horror of slavery. That being said, Tarantino doesn't shy away from showing some of that brutality. I'm sure you are aware that some people are just as critical of that violence. One black reviewer I read, Kelli Goff, was more concerned about that violence than the usage of the n-word. So, I do think the film goes hard, or would've even without using the n-word so exhaustively.

But like I said before, I liked the movie, I just thought that Tarantino didn't have to use the n-word so much, though its usage didn't offend me that much since I went to see it twice and bought the soundtrack, which is also laced with the n-word, from what I have listened to thus far. All that being said, I can empathize with people who have concerns about the usage of that word in the film. I can see how it isn't easy to take or listen to, coupled with the at times graphic violence in the film and the touchy subject matter.

Apex,

Thanks for posting the toys and comics pics. I know the toys are going to be too expensive but I wouldn't mind having that Django. Since the movie turned out better than I expected, I'll probably buy the comic, but just wait until it comes out as a trade.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:04:05 am by Emperorjones »

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2013, 12:14:03 pm »
LOVE LOVE LOVE the action figures. Wow guys you are AWESOME! Emperorjones I am glad you saw the movie (twice). Nice.  :D

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2013, 04:58:53 pm »
DC, huh.... interesting... jim lee.... stfu....

i didn't see the n-word in the comic... wow, that would be fun to see in print....

Maybe you have a different version than mine, because "nigger" IS in thecomic (Digital and Print copies).

APEXABYSS

« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2013, 09:33:54 pm »
even more so....

must add to collection...

hey, hats-off to John Legend's - "Who Did That To You?" from the soundtrack...  powerful song.

Offline Michael Jewett

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2013, 03:30:02 pm »

A note about authenticity -

Django & Schultz are both packing too much firepower. There's a scene where both characters are wielding the iconic, Winchester Repeating Rifle. The shoulder fired weapon is known as one of the "guns that won the West". The earliest versions of the Winchester are from 1865 or 1866 {a few years after the film takes place}. I think the models from the film are the famous 1873 model. The Winchesters are used in the scenes/sequences of Django & Schultz putting down a group of criminals on horseback {from the "Winter" segment of the film.

A minor detail. Most filmgoers would never notice.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2013, 04:40:07 pm »

Django & Schultz are both packing too much firepower. There's a scene where both characters are wielding the iconic, Winchester Repeating Rifle. The shoulder fired weapon is known as one of the "guns that won the West". The earliest versions of the Winchester are from 1865 or 1866 {a few years after the film takes place}. I think the models from the film are the famous 1873 model. The Winchesters are used in the scenes/sequences of Django & Schultz putting down a group of criminals on horseback {from the "Winter" segment of the film.

'Django Unchained' takes place before the Civil War actually began.

Offline Michael Jewett

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2013, 04:56:14 pm »

'Django Unchained' takes place before the Civil War actually began.

Yes.

That's my point. In this one section of the film Django & Schultz are using firearms that were NOT in use at the time. The other rifles and pistols seem fine.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2013, 05:01:35 pm »

Yes.

That's my point. In this one section of the film Django & Schultz are using firearms that were NOT in use at the time. The other rifles and pistols seem fine.

I haven't seen the movie yet (in due time) but I have to ask:

Was there any reference at all to the American Civil War to clue the audience in what period in the timeline this movie takes place?

Offline Michael Jewett

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2013, 05:06:32 pm »

Yes.

There is an onscreen note stating the season & year...."two years before the Civil War".