Author Topic: DJANGO UNCHAINED  (Read 66737 times)

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: DJANGO UNCHAINED
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2013, 09:37:27 am »
They really had no choice but to use the subterfuge that they ended up using.

I keep thing about that. They knew who bought her, it was a matter of public record. Why not just make the same ridiculous offer on a 300 dollar slave? "I understand, you have a slave that speaks my native language, which is quite unusual in this part of the country. I'm prepared to make you an offer you can't refuse for her." I mean, I really liked the movie, and will see it a few more times, but still... ???

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2013, 12:18:15 pm »
Roger Ebert's belated review at his blog:  http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2013/01/django_unchained.html
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
DJANGO UNCHAINED
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2013, 01:23:46 pm »

Quote from: Reginald Hudlin

I don't look for Marvel or DC to give me the true satisfaction of what black comics can be any more than I look to Hollywood studios to deliver what black cinema can be.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"When measured on the yardstick of silky hair, Blacks will always fall short"...Muhammad Smith, 2005.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2013, 02:17:02 pm »
They really had no choice but to use the subterfuge that they ended up using.

I keep thing about that. They knew who bought her, it was a matter of public record. Why not just make the same ridiculous offer on a 300 dollar slave? "I understand, you have a slave that speaks my native language, which is quite unusual in this part of the country. I'm prepared to make you an offer you can't refuse for her." I mean, I really liked the movie, and will see it a few more times, but still... ???

Schultz and Django certainly had the bank to do that.

I can only assume that Schultz was going to stiff Candie and had no intention of coughing up $12000 in any event.

Schultz would have paid Candie up front for Broomhilda( as that was a nominal sum to him) said he was going to get his lawyer for the Mandingo figther transaction, taken Broomhilda and never returned.

I guess Schultz didn't want to enrich Candie's evil (or he was a cheapskate who didn't want to part with 12 grand-take your pick).

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
DJANGO UNCHAINED
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2013, 02:54:58 pm »
"Schultz"

Ya'know when I saw the movie "Lincoln" I couldn't bring myself to believe that the character played by Tommy Lee Jones was real. I figured it was just a tool used for fictional and dramatic effect. But at the end of the movie when the Black woman appeared to be his wife, I (and my admittedly racist self) was almost certain it was dramatic fiction.

Regardless when I got home I just had to google it....

"Thaddeus Stevens"....wow.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2013, 02:55:59 pm »
Schultz intended to stiff Candie, hence the whole Mandingo scheme.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2013, 06:28:08 pm »
Schultz intended to stiff Candie, hence the whole Mandingo scheme.

Well okay, that makes sense.

Offline Michael Jewett

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2013, 08:14:00 am »

The Oscar Nominations are out.

"Django Unchained" is nominated in five* categories:

Best Picture
    Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz
    Original Screenplay
    Cinematography
    Sound Editing

* I'm trying to find out if the film is up for the costume design category.

Quentin Tarantino {directing} and Leonardo DiCaprio both snubbed by the nominating committee.   >:(

APEXABYSS

« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2013, 10:19:33 am »
even more so....

must add to collection...

hey, hats-off to John Legend's - "Who Did That To You?" from the soundtrack...  powerful song.

What's really kool about the comic, is that it's the first draft of the movie. Basically, "Django Uncut".
For example, the dialogue in panels 2-4 is not in the movie:

splendid!

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2013, 10:27:05 am »
Best Picture
    Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz
    Original Screenplay
    Cinematography
    Sound Editing

* I'm trying to find out if the film is up for the costume design category.

Quentin Tarantino {directing} and Leonardo DiCaprio both snubbed by the nominating committee.   

What? Where is Jamie Foxx's name? Samuel Jackson? Congrats Mr. Hudlin. You picked a great movie and you told us so way back when.....Love it! ;D

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2013, 12:53:17 pm »
"Schultz"
"Thaddeus Stevens"....wow.

Be sure to check out his plan for Reconstruction, too.
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

APEXABYSS

« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2013, 10:13:07 am »
////spoiler alert/////

i was waiting....

The commercial advertising-- "Why don't they just rise up and kill the whites?"...something like that.

Well, that $old it for me.
How Tarantino answers the question & how that scene would unfold, sparked my curiosity to see the film.

"At first you had my curiosity. Now you have my attention."

...That was the million dollar question?  I thought, wait, these guys are f*ckin with us (us meaning the general public)... how would you answer?

Candie uses science & medicine to support his subservient claim...."3 dimples"...wtf... Tarantino was smart to give an 1850s answer.
At that point, I felt as though the film didn't give me the answer I was looking for. Candie answers his own question. So I didn’t count his response to be rational. Theatrical but not rational. 

I kept thinking, how could they not answer the friggin question?

Marketing Django as a concept within a concept... A black hero killing white villains and why is he the only one? Advertising Django with a question?

/////highlights/////

Dr. Schultz, feeling responsible for Django. The “Cleopatra House" & house-slave named "Sheba" (two of the worlds most powerful african women). Plus, Beethoven & Dumas…c’mon, all time classics.
Candie, a slave owner, paying homage to black culture and black contributions, simultaneously, exploiting the very people whose ingenuity, invitations & achievements he holds in the highest regard. 

This is Tarantinos most intelligent film. why? the damn question. Django re-defines the term spaghetti western.” I mean, ‘mama mia‘, the pasta is thick.

I'm glad people responded to the violence & n-word controversy/criticism like adults.  violence= it's a western. n-word= an unclassified term still in transition.
Black people still attach the "n-word" to slave-history instead of African history... Tarantino could have used a slew of words to describe slaves. I recall hearing the word “pica ninny” which is far more comically-tragic (to me) than ”nigger.”

Do we know the context & how the n-word has been bastardized?

The etymology of  the n-word (in it’s various forms & definitions) goes beyond slavery. African dialect has similar sounds & spellings… for example: Negus, Niger, Wah Ben Naga & Senegal are all african words with similar pronunciation to the n-word. Hailesse Sailiei was known as “The Great Negus Nagast” meaning King of kings.”

The n-word derives from the Portuguese meaning "black." However, the african terms for the n-word usually applied to sacred, spiritual and religious beliefs. Ironically, the term “nigger” may have been recognizable to the early-slaves (from their native languages). Hearing a foreign variation of the word may have caused slaves to respond or embrace the term. 

but... did the movie give us an answer? maybe!

i would suggest Dr. Schultz answers the million dollar question... when referring to Candie as an.... 
I think that about summed it up for me. 

Offline LGarcia

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2013, 02:10:25 pm »
I am a 55 yr old Caucasian raised in a Jewish home .. married 20 yrs to Tommy a 60 yr old guy who has combined blood - Mexican paternal Greek maternal .. as of age 8 Tommy was raised by African American preacher Father Divine in Pennsylvania .. between the 2 of us we cover alot of stuff ..

We finally were able to see DJANGO and we both thoroughly enjoyed & appreciated it ..  sure there is lots to be discussed, and thats what good movies are all about after all ..

Congratulations and big bravo to those who worked together to make this film ..

Sincerely, Lori Garcia

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
DJANGO UNCHAINED
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2013, 07:56:57 pm »
I am a 55 yr old Caucasian raised in a Jewish home .. married 20 yrs to Tommy a 60 yr old guy who has combined blood - Mexican paternal Greek maternal .. as of age 8 Tommy was raised by African American preacher Father Divine in Pennsylvania .. between the 2 of us we cover alot of stuff ..

We finally were able to see DJANGO and we both thoroughly enjoyed & appreciated it ..  sure there is lots to be discussed, and thats what good movies are all about after all ..

Congratulations and big bravo to those who worked together to make this film ..

Sincerely, Lori Garcia

For one who is admittedly racist...perhaps with a small "r", the exponential explosion in diversity from the White House on down is overwhelming in a good way. Yet to hear mention of the Father Divine Hotel in my residential Philly gives me reason to pause. The Father Divine Hotel is so very symbolic of the word "Gentrification", with a capital "G". The all but racial assault on urban Public schools (excuse the nusience but that is a capital "P"), the all but racial application of drug laws, the all but certain history of Anne Frank.

Django could be so symbolic of all we dare not say.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile