Author Topic: DJANGO UNCHAINED  (Read 69888 times)

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
DJANGO UNCHAINED
« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2013, 07:15:29 am »
^
That's a false choice, a term Obama likes to use from time to time. Hey, Obama is your thing and that's cool. I feel differently. I think he is a nice guy, a good family man, and a good politician. He has a good legislative record despite dealing with a hostile Congress. Now I mean good in terms of getting legislation passed, not that all that he has passed has been good in terms of content. Some has, some hasn't, IMO.

However does all his political maneuvering have put black Americans in a stronger place than they were in 2008, I don't think so. I think that we are still in a precarious position. Now one can say, and rightly so, that that isn't all the fault or within the responsibility of Obama or any president. But with what is within his purview, I have so far not been too impressed. Thus far I think he is overrated by many blacks because he represents the ultimate insider, the greatest key to white validation and acceptance and many of us live vicariously through him, or that is what we are encouraged to do or believe, IMO, like the Obama Effect the media gushed about early in his presidency.

I'm holding out to see what the healthcare plan will ultimately do, I'm not cool with the idea of mandates right off the bat. And I wonder if the healthcare 'gains' will be undercut by entitlement reform. If Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid benefits are cut how are we going to pay for that mandated healthcare?

^^^^^^

George Washington didn't chop down no Cherry Tree. Nor did John Wayne cut them off at the pass.
For me President Obama is the, a,  epitome of Black America. Much as was once true of Dorie Armstrong and Joe Louis. Besides in all these 500 years who has spoken more eloquently than Rodney King...."Can't we all just get along...".

Besides, the alternative is Django...which do you prefer?

Actually the greatest strides in "Civil Rights" came vis-a-vis mass media...Photography in 1864 and Television in 1964.
Of course it was mass violence that was displayed with this mass media.
The Republicans of today seem perfectly willing to destroy the US economy, among other things, to secure their rights.
Republicans openly talk of secession as Obama speaks of a more perfect union.
Django, unfortunately, could easily be a sign of things to come.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Muhammad-Smith-Million-March/dp/1420867040

The only bad (curse) word in this book (Muhammad Smith) is N***** .
No MF, no B, no AH....Just N***** .
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:04:34 am by Tanksleyd »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: DJANGO UNCHAINED
« Reply #196 on: January 15, 2013, 07:24:02 am »
Actually the greatest strides in "Civil Rights" came vis-a-vis mass media...Photography in 1864 and Television in 1964.
The Republicans of today seem perfectly willing to destroy the US economy, among other things, to secure their CON.
Republicans openly talk of secession as Obama speaks of a more perfect union.
Django, unfortunately, could easily be a sign of things to come.

Fixed.

Offline mayday

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2013, 08:41:28 am »
THIS was my Avengers.

N-word didn't bother me. Much like all the current rappers T-Dog was just "keeping it real"

I did stand up & cheer...It was awesome

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2013, 11:14:44 am »
i think the action figures were a horrible mistake but the movie itself is gold.

nice work all around.

the "controversy" is ridiculous. similar to people who want the word "nigger" removed from Huckleberry Finn.

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2013, 05:18:03 pm »
I've just looked at the move and ROFL I mean seriously people were whining about the use of the "n" word. I'm sorry my point from last time:

The "excessive usage" That's bullsh*t. Jeez I hate to go there but this "PC" thing that many have a tendency to whine about fits the bill here.

Still stands
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2013, 01:26:33 pm »
I finally saw it this weekend. T'was cool. I will admit, I think the flick kinda went overboard with the N-word, but given the subject matter... it was expected.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2013, 01:19:20 pm »
Popping back on the HEF to say I saw Django, I loved it, and I think everyone involved should feel proud of this movie. I remember hearing that some of the black people involved weren't entirely happy with the first draft of the script, but the input that reportedly came from Foxx, Washington, and of course Mr Hudlin seem to have turned the problems into a film that works on a whole load of levels of racial politics.

Great movie. Congratulations to everyone.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2013, 04:51:23 pm »
SLJ said that Stephen would go down in history as the most hated Negro in cinema. I think the man has a point. At the end of the film, I was screaming in my head, "Kill him, Django! KILL HIM!!!!"
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2013, 02:48:35 am »
SLJ said that Stephen would go down in history as the most hated Negro in cinema. I think the man has a point. At the end of the film, I was screaming in my head, "Kill him, Django! KILL HIM!!!!"
True, but what I like is that he was clearly the smartest guy in Kandieland. Don't we even seeing him signing Kandie's signature on stuff when he first appears, implying that he's actually kind of running the place? Let's face it, neither Kandie, his sister or his lawyer were that smart.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2013, 05:59:30 am »
Some people are upset that Django doesn't get to kill Candie, but the bottom line is that the end of the film is about the two smartest guys facing off with each other.  Stephen is the only guy in the whole movie to see through Schultz's blizzard of words and figure what's really going on.  But Django is smart enough to escape his legend-destroying deathtrap and return for revenge.

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2013, 04:51:44 pm »
I was more pissed off that Schultz let his temper get the best of him and shot Candie, putting Django and Hilde in a ton of danger. Speaking of the good German, every time my students come in from recess, I think in my head, "Ev-ree-bod-dee calllllllm dowwwwwwwn..."
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2013, 07:18:49 am »
I was more pissed off that Schultz let his temper get the best of him and shot Candie, putting Django and Hilde in a ton of danger. Speaking of the good German, every time my students come in from recess, I think in my head, "Ev-ree-bod-dee calllllllm dowwwwwwwn..."
That's one of my favorite quotables from the film as well. 

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2013, 07:19:56 am »
HOLLYWOOD REPORTER:

Foreign Box Office: 'Django Unchained' Still Atop Anemic Overseas Circuit, No. 1 For Third Straight Weekend

Unchained maintained its No. 1 rank in at least 10 territories, and for the third straight weekend the biggest single market remained Germany ($6.35 million drawn from 865 locations, down only about 20% from the prior round; market cume, $29.8 million). 

The action western costarring Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz (a Vienna native) and Leonardo Di Caprio, adorned with five Oscar nominations, remained No. 1 in France (cume $22.8 million), Australia, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Belgium and New Zealand. 

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2013, 05:04:59 pm »
Warning:  Spoilers Below:

I saw “Django Unchained” on Sunday, I really enjoyed it.  First, I’m a sap for righteous revenge movies. Second, nothing could be more righteous.  But there was a lot more to the movie than that.

Of all the characters, I found Samuel L. Jackson’s “Stephen” to be the most interesting.  Because, despite his (mandatory) public Uncle Tomfoolery, it was clear that he was the brains behind the entire plantation.  That brief scene in the library revealed that to be the case.  Even his public displays of servility to Candie were tinged with sarcasm … as with his “you is a rock in my shoe” comment.  While we are meant to dislike Stephen (and we do, for the obvious reasons), there is a certain poignancy to his character.  Today, he would be a corporate CEO, a senior military officer, or a major politician.

I found it interesting that the white protagonist in the film, Dr. Schultz, was German.  The same actor who played (so wonderfully) the Nazi in “Inglorious Basterds.”  I had to wonder if Tarantino intentionally made the character German, to balance out his portrayal of Germans in the other film?  Or maybe he just enjoys working with Christopf Waltz, just as he obviously does with Samuel L. Jackson. Anyway, I bet Europeans find Schultz's nationality particularly appealing.

As to Schultz, and his shooting of Calvin Candie, well … the storyline did explain it, with his ruminating over the former fighting slave torn apart by dogs, his anger over Broomhilda’s plight, as well his irritation over Candie’s (really Stephen’s) seeing through his scheme to save Broomhilda at nominal cost.  Still, with all of that, Schultz was no softie (as a bounty hunter, he had no problem killing men, including having Django shoot a man in front of the man’s son).  He was also very savvy.  For him to fly off the handle like that was a little hard for me to understand, given his instinct for survival. Why not just shake that bastard's hand, and live another day? But it was explained.

Finally, as to the ending:  I had to wonder, what happens after the credits?  How would it really play out?  Being the eternal pessimist, I see everything unraveling into a tragic climax. While we are meant to believe that Django and Broomhilda, armed with their documents of emancipation, will ride north into the sunset, I don’t think so.  Sure, the 1850s didn’t have the lightning fast communication that we have today, but still … word would have quickly spread.  Particularly with the massive explosion of the house, the fire, the telltale “alarm” of smoke that could be seen for miles.  Even though Django shot all the white witnesses (including, hilariously, Lara Lee Candie-Fitzwilly) … he let the slaves go free (with the exception of the evil sellout Stephen). Of course he had to … in this movie, how could he not?  So what would have happened?  Word would quickly spread that there had been a major slave revolt in Candieland, the fourth largest plantation in Mississippi.  Candie had earlier alluded to this ever-present fear among the white plantation owners, and this fear was historically present at the time.  A major manhunt would ensue, to capture any runaway slaves, and to interrogate any who stayed behind.  Through coercion if not “voluntary” compliance, other slaves would inform the authorities that Django did it all.  (Historically, slave revolts were at times unwound by slaves informing on one another, before things even got off the ground).  It is less clear if word would get out that all this happened after Django’s and Schultz’s plot to “swindle” Candie went south, but other slaves may have overheard something about that as well, and they clearly knew he was with Schultz.  That’s a small detail, however. “SLAVE REVOLT” would be enough to galvanize the authorities. The papers of emancipation signed by Schultz would serve as an indictment of Django and Broomhilda, were they to actually show them to anyone in the South.  So unless Django and Broomhilda were to make it to a “free” state very very quickly, they would likely be apprehended.  And even if caught in the north, Django and his coconspirator Broomhilda could well be turned over to the authorities in Mississippi, on charges of murder in the first degree (unless “saved” by the onset of the Civil War).  Likely outcome:  Both hung by the neck until dead, and probably first tortured. If not first killed by a bounty hunter.

… I know … just a little ray of sunshine.  That’s me.  ;)

Oh, and as to the “controversy” over the use of the “n” word. That’s just silly. For heaven’s sake, how were the white bigots supposed to be portrayed?  And as for Stephen’s use of the term, well, he wasn’t using it as a collegial term of endearment. The word is what it is. A disparging racial slur.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:39:59 am by michaelintp »
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2013, 06:26:29 pm »
Good, smart commentary, Michael. 

I can see your pessimistic take on their future, but remember, we've seen Django escape from impossible situations several times in the film.  When seen his ability to out think and out shoot most opponents.  We know Broomhilda is a worthy partner with great capacities herself.  I presume they will beat the odds, however long...which is a worthy subject for a film of its own.