Author Topic: DJANGO UNCHAINED  (Read 70819 times)

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
Re: DJANGO UNCHAINED
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2013, 07:24:17 pm »

Happy V-Day!!!
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 24, 2013, 05:57:33 pm »
Best Actor In A Supporting Role
Christopher Waltz
"Django Unchained"

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #242 on: February 24, 2013, 06:16:15 pm »
Best Actor In A Supporting Role
Christopher Waltz
"Django Unchained"

With a shout out to Reggie

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2013, 07:38:39 pm »
Awe-some!  He so deserved it!  At the dinner table Friday night we were saying Waltz deserved to win but probably wouldn't. I am so pleased.

Reg, congratulations again for bringing us such a great movie!

;D
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2013, 08:31:45 pm »
Original Screenplay
Quentin Tarantino
"Django Unchained"

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2013, 08:43:29 pm »
Whooo Hooo Quentin......Great Job! ;D

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 24, 2013, 08:54:09 pm »
This is just better and better!  What wonderful news to get during our Purim festive meal, via the HEF!  I'm so happy, Reg, that your film is getting such well-deserved recognition.  ;D
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #247 on: February 24, 2013, 09:01:10 pm »
Yeah Django you held them high!  ;D
I loved the movie and so did many others......Great Job!

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2013, 09:01:25 pm »
*picks up a garbage can and hurls it, Mookie style*
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2013, 06:27:37 am »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 28, 2013, 04:18:59 am »
Christoph Waltz and Quentin Tarantino make Oscars history with 'Django Unchained' wins
Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained, Christoph Waltz, Oscars 2012 - Best Supp. Actor, Oscars 2012 - Best Original Screenplay
 By Daniel Boneschansker
Feb 27 2013 19:09 pm  0 0

Both of the Oscars wins for "Django Unchained" --  Christoph Waltz (Best Supporting Actor) and Quentin Tarantino (Best Original Screenplay) -- are history making.

Waltz, who claimed this same award three years ago for "Inglorious Basterds," his first collaboration with Tarantino, is the seventh actor to win more than once in this category, following:

•Walter Brennan: "Come and Get It" (1936), "Kentucky" (1938), "The Westerner" (1940);

•Anthony Quinn: "Viva Zapata!" (1952), "Lust for Life" (1956);

•Peter Ustinov: "Spartacus" (1960), "Topkapi" (1964);

•Jason Robards: "All the President's Men" (1976), "Julia" (1977);

•Melvyn Douglas: "Hud" (1963), "Being There" (1979); and

•Michael Caine: "Hannah and Her Sisters" (1986), "The Cider House Rules" (1999).

Waltz is only the second performer to win the Oscar without a corresponding SAG nomination. Marcia Gay Harden pulled off this feat with her Best Supporting Actress win for "Pollock" in 2000. Waltz's SAG snub is attributabe to a botched campaign early on in the season -- Waltz was submitted in lead and SAG voters did not get DVD screeners.

Waltz also joins an exclusive list of winners who batted a thousand, winning both their bids:

•Luise Rainer: Best Actress, "The Great Ziegfeld" (1936); Best Actress, "The Good Earth" (1937);

•Vivien Leigh: Best Actress, "Gone with the Wind" (1939); Best Actress, "A Streetcar Named Desire" (1951);

•Helen Hayes: Best Actress, "The Sin of Madelon Claudet" (1931); Best Supporting Actress, "Airport" (1970);

•Kevin Spacey: Best Supporting Actor, "The Usual Suspects" (1995); Best Actor, "American Beauty" (1999); and

•Hilary Swank: Best Actress, "Boys Don't Cry" (1999); Best Actress, "Million Dollar Baby" (2004).

Sally Field had been on this list for her two Best Actress wins -- "Norma Rae" (1979) and "Places in the Heart" (1984) -- but lost her third nomination this year -- Best Supporting Actress for "Lincoln" -- to Anne Hathaway ("Les Misérables").

Rainer was the only German-speaking performer with multiple acting Oscars. Waltz is now the first male actor to pull off this accomplishment, and is also the only double-winner from Austria.

Tarantino, who prevailed in this same race in 1994 for "Pulp Fiction," becomes only the fifth person to win multiple Oscars in the Best Original Screenplay category, following:

•Charles Brackett: "Sunset Boulevard" (1950), "Titanic" (1953);

•Billy Wilder: "Sunset Boulevard" (1950), "The Apartment" (1960);

•Paddy Chayefsky: "The Hospital" (1971), "Network" (1976);

•Woody Allen: "Annie Hall" (1977), "Hannah and Her Sisters" (1986), "Midnight in Paris" (2011).

With Tarantino having directed both of Waltz's Oscar-winning performances, many have wondered how often director-actor pairings have reaped multiple wins.  So far, only three other collaborations have done so:

•Walter Brennan and William Wyler: Best Supporting Actor, "Come and Get It" (1936) [co-directed with Howard Hawks]; Best Supporting Actor, "The Westerner" (1942);

•Dianne Wiest and Woody Allen: Best Supporting Actress, "Hannah and Her Sisters" (1986); Best Supporting Actress, "Bullets Over Broadway" (1994); and

•Jack Nicholson and James L. Brooks: Best Supporting Actor, "Terms of Endearment" (1983); Best Actor, "As Good as It Gets" (1997).

As to why their collaboration with each other has been so successful, Waltz says, "Quentin writes poetry, and I like poetry."

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #251 on: February 28, 2013, 07:07:12 am »
I really like Christoph Waltz and was happy he won.  However, I do somewhat agree with the criticism that he didn't below in that category.  He was basically co-lead with Jamie Foxx.  Is that just a strategy to give him a better chance to win?  I think shows like Friends and Modern Family have used in the past.  I know that, duh, it is named Django Unchained, but I think a case could have been made for Waltz in the best actor category.

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2013, 08:49:52 am »
I really like Christoph Waltz and was happy he won.  However, I do somewhat agree with the criticism that he didn't below in that category.  He was basically co-lead with Jamie Foxx.  Is that just a strategy to give him a better chance to win?  I think shows like Friends and Modern Family have used in the past.  I know that, duh, it is named Django Unchained, but I think a case could have been made for Waltz in the best actor category.

I had the same thought. Without Waltz it would not have been the same movie. Maybe the answer is that with true co-leads, as here, it is truly ambiguous which category the actor should be nominated for. A co-lead may be at a disadvantage competing againt unambiguous lead actors in the Best Actor category. So perhaps the Best Supporting Actor nomination was fairer. I dunno though. Just speculating.

Oh and Reg, the article you posted with all the historical detail was interesting.   

This is great.  ;D
It is like a vapor,
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 28, 2013, 09:38:14 am »
Agreed the Oscar is a political football. Who catches it and on what yard line depends on the QB. All of Django's cast was good. Some out shined others. The producers and directors were awesome. Hats off once again. ;D

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 28, 2013, 01:41:37 pm »

The thing about that is you want your nominees in a postion where they can win. Waltz wasn't going to beat out Daniel J Lewis for Best Actor even if he had gotten nominated. He was a mortal lock going into these awards (Anne Hathaway best supporting actress) was the other.