Author Topic: Will Black Voters Punish Obama for His Support of Gay Rights?  (Read 9070 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Will Black Voters Punish Obama for His Support of Gay Rights?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 08:06:30 am »
Pastor David manning is going to have a field day with this. I bet his youtube page have a ton a of views now.

Manning is the sort of dude that I actually HOPE is taking payola.

I'd hate to think that his exercises in coonery were his own idea.

Dude is what Uncle Rukus would be if he had a church.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 08:17:47 am »
Pastor David manning is going to have a field day with this. I bet his youtube page have a ton a of views now.

Manning is the sort of dude that I actually HOPE is taking payola.

I'd hate to think that his exercises in coonery were his own idea.

Dude is what Uncle Rukus would be if he had a church.
thing is Uncle Rukus did have one in the first season. So maybe the boondocks were commenting on someone like him
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 02:32:46 pm »
Out of interest, has anyone said they'd be OK with having civil / legal marriages for same-sex couples, and let religious organisations make up their own minds?

I believe that is the de facto interpretation of President Obama's expression of support. It would be a matter of law, not religion. That's certainly my view. But then I don't much care what religious organizations think.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 03:17:57 pm »
It would be a matter of law, not religion. That's certainly my view. But then I don't much care what religious organizations think.

100% agree

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 05:09:27 am »
Fully 70 percent of Democrats express favorable opinions of the Democratic president’s move, as do 49 percent of independents (43 percent hold unfavorable ones). Republicans are lined up on the other side, with 76 percent holding unfavorable views, including 65 percent “strongly unfavorable” impressions.

Age is a similarly big divider, with more than six in 10 adults under 30 years old supportive of the president’s announcement, and a similar proportion of seniors opposed to it.

So it's unpopular among those who weren't going to vote for him anyway. With an edge among independents. And there's evidence of that generational gap Reginald mentioned across the whole population. This might work out politically after all.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 02:31:14 pm »
Sadly still no one has provided a reason other than "the bible says"
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 08:46:55 pm »
Sadly still no one has provided a reason other than "the bible says"
Because they don't have to courage to say in public "gays creep me out".

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 04:18:15 am »
But then you have some whom "dont care" but say "god will judge them" I just leave that sh*t alone and keep it moving. Don't feel like it anymore nowadays

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 08:02:33 pm »
Proof that Obama is truly a leader that black folks respect...that's a big change in a short time. 

EURWEB:

Obama’s Gay Marriage Position Now Favorable with Blacks Says Poll
May 24, 2012

*After President Barack Obama announced his support of gay marriage, the expected outrage dwindled down quickly. His endorsement generated a new movement among traditional blacks.

According to a Washington Post-ABC survey, more African Americans now support same-sex marriage.

Some 59 percent of blacks (who took the poll) say they support the president’s stance on gay marriage and believe it should be legalized.

In 2009, only 39 percent of the black American population supported gay marriage.

Another poll released by Public Policy Polling also delivered similar results.

Despite the recently released research, some still believe that African Americans will generally remain traditional on this topic and will not condone gay marriage. And Obama’s “coming out,” critics say, will not dramatically alter black opinions on homosexuality.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2012, 03:11:46 pm »
^
I don't think it's going to matter. For one, I am skeptical of the mainstream media's blithe assertions that blacks are more anti-gay than other Americans. I do believe that homophobia exists in the black community, but I think it exists in other communities as well. I think there is a tendency to sometimes try to play up black prejudice in an attempt to absolve white prejudice.

But back to the point, I don't think it's really going to matter. There might be a slight uptick in the number of blacks who might not vote for Obama, but it doesn't mean they will vote for Romney. They just won't vote period, or not for president. However, if blacks aren't upset enough to take the President to task for the depression level economic conditions in the black community during his term, they aren't going to abandon him in droves now.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:15:02 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 02:29:28 am »
But back to the point, I don't think it's really going to matter. There might be a slight uptick in the number of blacks who might not vote for Obama, but it doesn't mean they will vote for Romney. They just won't vote period, or not for president. However, if blacks aren't upset enough to take the President to task for the depression level economic conditions in the black community during his term, they aren't going to abandon him in droves now.

Our 'gop friends' have already started posting up thier campaign signs around my way in the same spots where the McCain/Palin signs were. ;D  One read something like:
"STOP OBAMA! Get America Working again. Vote for Andre Bauer."
I had never seen anything like this before, a political campaign sign that promotes the candidate and blatantly protests the opponent simultaneously.
Black people had better show up to vote President Obama in for a second term, if they know what's good for them, quoting Vic Vega "they richly deserve the ass reaming that 4 years of President Romney will give them."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:32:32 am by Battle »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2012, 03:54:49 am »
How different will that be from the ass reaming they are getting now, from the soul brother in the White House? I'm sorry, but I think we need to move beyond these scare tactics. And we as a community should demand more from the Democrats instead of just giving into that fear all the time. Every election it's the same thing from the Democrats, "We might not have done much for you but at least we're better than the Republicans." And we eat it up and settle for second class treatment.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2012, 05:00:39 am »
How different will that be from the ass reaming they are getting now, from...

Hold up...
That ass reaming you referred to is  called 'gridlock' in Congress.  It is what happens when the opposing party 'disagrees' with the people or party in power and it happens in stages and levels.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2012, 03:08:21 pm »
^
Don't get me wrong Congress is a part of it, but what was the excuse when the Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and the White House? Even now they control the White House and the Senate.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2012, 06:29:52 pm »
^
Don't get me wrong Congress is a part of it, but what was the excuse when the Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and the White House? Even now they control the White House and the Senate.

I think I've heard this question coming from you before but before that question is answered, here is a summary of what measures the opposition has taken since the day Barack Obama has taken an oath as President of the United States on Inauguration Day.

Thier plan (in 4 phases) was to:

• Show united and unyielding opposition to the president's economic policies
  • Win the spear point of the House of Representatives in 2010
  • Jab Obama relentlessly in 2011
  • Win the White House and The Senate in 2012

We are already at the 4th phase in this summary.  Any and everyone involved followed this agenda.  This is how you undermine an American President who intends to 'do the right thing'.  There are only two individuals here at HEF who has opinions that follows this  plan... michealintp and you

Where do you stand now?