Author Topic: Rashida Jones and the Politics of Passing In Hollywood  (Read 13119 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Rashida Jones and the Politics of Passing In Hollywood
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 04:12:35 am »
In the article it said she already branched into comics. Maybe that could be her franchise.

I've read Fenemy Of The State #3 and it's pretty damn good reading!  If you like espionage and little humor thrown in for good measure [think Archer but not as crude with the jokes], then you'd enjoy this series.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 07:57:42 am »
well, setting aside personal prefs on talent, what you're talking about is money.

if a lot of people go to see SOUL PLANE, then lots of versions of SOUL PLANE will be made. If no one goes to see A SOLDIER'S STORY, it will be blamed on the mostly black cast and the themes of the story.

This kind of ties into some of the other stuff we were talking about on the Tyler Perry/Spike thread.

One of the good things that can be said about Perry is that he gives folks work.

Dude puts out a movie ever other year with machine-like regularity.

Back in the glory days of the 90's (shakes heads sadly) you had Spike's joints, a buppie rom-com and whatever 'hood film came out that year.

Stuff now has slowed down somewhat to where Perry seems to be the only guy hitting the screen on the regular(its kind of an odd thing too-hood films still make money. But they come out far less then they used to.)

This state of affairs probably affects Rashida Jones far less than say, Theresa Randle. Jones has the dough and connections to get a production company up and running to create roles for her.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 08:19:32 pm »
^
What happened to Theresa Randle? She was so fine.

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 05:53:56 am »
One of the good things that can be said about Perry is that he gives folks work.

Dude puts out a movie ever other year with machine-like regularity. 

Seems more frequent than that. I could swear he churns out at least a couple a year...
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 06:33:17 am »
Hm. Interesting...
Gabby Sidibe Reveals That Joan Cusack Told Her She Should “Quit Hollywood”
Bravo's Andy Cohen and Gabby Sidibe

By Veronica Wells & Dave Nemetz

According to Yahoo! TV and MadameNoire dot com, that's pretty much exactly what happened to "The Big C" star Gabourey Sidibe when she met one of her heroes, quirky actress Joan Cusack. On last night's "Watch What Happens Live," host Andy Cohen asked Sidibe which celebrity she was most disappointed by when she met them, and she told the story of how she ran into Cusack at a industry party -- and Cusack told her she should quit show business because "it's so image-conscious."

Would You Like To Know More?
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/gabourey-sidibe-reveals-the-terrible-advice-she-got-from-joan-cusack--video-.html
http://madamenoire.com/170739/gabby-sidibe-reveals-that-joan-cusak-told-her-she-should-quit-hollywood/

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 01:12:11 pm »
Diane Keaton & Ms. Jones at the 2012 White House Correspondents' Dinner this past weekend.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:18:28 pm by Battle »

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 07:50:27 am »
I actually remember being surprised to find out she was black. Then someone said to me, "Her name is Rashida Jones. You couldn't figure that out?" Haha.

Then I was watching the Twin Peaks DVD and I remember how immensely attractive I found Peggy Lipton on the show and then months later learning she's Jones' mother. Man, the looks run greatly in the family.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 10:10:12 am »
I actually remember being surprised to find out she was black. Then someone said to me, "Her name is Rashida Jones. You couldn't figure that out?" Haha.

That's exactly what I thought when I first heard that name...   'Rashida'.  I felt that was a name you attached to a Black female and here I am looking at pictures of this White woman or at least, I thought she was. I didn't even know who she was until a certain famous celeb pointed out that she was actually Quincy Jones' daughter.☺

Then I was watching the Twin Peaks DVD and I remember how immensely attractive I found Peggy Lipton on the show and then months later learning she's Jones' mother. Man, the looks run greatly in the family.

Exactly what I thought!  :D
Dude, I was smitten as a kid watching her on "The Mod Squad" television show back-in-th'-day.

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 04:32:07 pm »
I actually remember being surprised to find out she was black.

A friend of mine was beyond shocked when he learned she was Quincy Jones' daughter.

Him: But...she's white!

Me: Well, half.

("Him" is black, has a white wife and and they have 3 kids )
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics