Author Topic: UNTOUCHABLE ART  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
UNTOUCHABLE ART
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:53:33 pm »
Is there any point to covering Jimi Hendrix's PURPLE HAZE?  Or remaking CITIZEN KANE?  

What are examples of untouchable art?  

Conversely, who pulled off the impossible and "covered" what seemed to be a perfect piece of art?

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: UNTOUCHABLE ART
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 04:50:12 pm »
Is there any point to covering Jimi Hendrix's PURPLE HAZE?  Or remaking CITIZEN KANE?  

Conversely, who pulled off the impossible and "covered" what seemed to be a perfect piece of art?

Depends.

Is the goal to equal or surpass the source material?

Carlos Santana could probably cover the hell out of Purple Haze, assuming he hasn't done it already.

The cinema is a harsher mistress by far: ask the poor fellow who tried remaking Psycho. Or Holloween for that matter. Or the the guys who tried making Pink Panther movies without Sellers.

They have been kicking around the idea of donig a remake of It's a Mad, Mad World for a while now and even the logistics are against them, let alone trying to be as funny as the first one.

The best example I can think of where it worked out was the Cohen Bros. True Grit, which garnered more Oscar nomination than the original.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:28:42 pm »
The cinema is a harsher mistress by far: ask the poor fellow who tried remaking Psycho.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 03:38:19 pm »
casablanca. off limits.

2001. off limits.

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:05:26 pm »
House Party= off limits  ;)
but who knows-- maybe someone's already made the Drake/Lil' Wayne update pitch, w. Faizon Love as Pops..   8)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 03:26:35 pm »
I dunno - I don't think sacred cows are a good thing, but all the examples here are definitely ones it would be all-but impossible to better. Certainly no-one should be attempting it unless they really have a vision or reason for doing it that might make the project worthwhile, not just a money-making scheme like most remakes are.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 06:15:18 am »

As much as I admire Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal, the X-Rated remake of The Fountainhead pulled it off much better ... by displaying the kinkiness of the original novel.   ;D

Ok, OK, OK already! I knew you wouldn't swallow it.

:P 
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 05:07:54 pm »

Depends so much on the artist who chooses to do it. Once the conventional wisdom was that sequels sucked and then Coppola chose to do Part II and flipped the script on that wisdom. If he, the artist, had but chosen to immediately do a Part III I believe the world would be his oyster and his legacy would have rivaled Chaplin...But again it was the choice of the artist...It's their legacy.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:17:29 pm by Tanksleyd »